BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Since I can’t get my flat-panel imac to give me results in panther that are anywhere near the color values I see onscreen, I’m thinking of trying some kind of hardware calibration to see if I can get PE and PS to print as well as they did in earlier versions of the OS.

I’ve been considering the Colorvision Spyder as a starting point, but am not sure whether I would be better off going with their lower-end software or need to spring for the whole enchilada. Does anyone (Brent, maybe?) have any experience with these? Any comments on which worked better?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 12, 2004
I use the Colorvision Spyder and the Photocal software and i calibrate my CRT monitor every two weeks. It is extremely easy to use; follow the instructions on screen and that’s all. Nothing to it.

Remind: calibrate your monitor when it is dark; there is always some light from outside reflecting on your screen and no matter how little, it still influences the measurements.

Leen
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 12, 2004
Barb,
I have the monaco ezcolor bundle and colorimeter, but it’s an early version and doesn’t handle LCD’s. Ian Lyons’ has his reviews on several systems at his website in the Review section.
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ione/ione-1.htm> is one review. Color management sure isn’t cheap ! <G>

Brent
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 12, 2004
Thanks for the information, Brent and Leen.

Brent, I’ve noticed that apple kind of pushes the gretag-macbeth in their online seminars, but don’t have any idea of whether that’s just a marketing agreement or really based on the quality.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 12, 2004
I get the feeling from what I’ve read of Gretag-Macbeth, that they are a first class operation with a wide variety of solutions in a wide price range. I’m happy with my Monaco EZcolor solution and I’m not sure I could have gotten into the Gretag Macbeth line at the same price point. (I bought Monaco because it was the cheapest solution that I knew would work <G> ) . Bear in mind that I’m not a graphics pro, but an amateur who takes printing seriously ( for whatever reason ) and I’m happy with what I have at the moment.

🙂

Brent
B
Bobs
Jan 13, 2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:49:45 -0800,
wrote:

Since I can’t get my flat-panel imac to give me results in panther that are anywhere near the color values I see onscreen, I’m thinking of trying some kind of hardware calibration to see if I can get PE and PS to print as well as they did in earlier versions of the OS.

I’ve been considering the Colorvision Spyder as a starting point, but am not sure whether I would be better off going with their lower-end software or need to spring for the whole enchilada. Does anyone (Brent, maybe?) have any experience with these? Any comments on which worked better?

I use an LCD display (Viewsonic VX2000 21") and calibrate it with ColorVision OptiCAL. You need to be sure and get the spyder unit that is compatible with both CRT and LCD displays for it to work. I got the "Spyder Pro" package that includes the CRT/LCD spyder puck, PhotoCal, OptiCal and also the Profiler Plus software for printer/paper profiling. Check around on eBay (that’s where I got mine) to save a bunch on this. Mine was about $240 new for the whole works. Now what I see on the screen is what appears on the prints, and that’s what we’re after.
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Jan 14, 2004
I have the Spyder with the PhotoCal software. Works great. Easy to use. I have a CRT monitor, and there seemed to be some issues with using it on LCD’s. Not sure whether they’re related to performance of the tool or cautions against using a suction cup on the screen.

I justified the purchase by the fact that a well calibrated monitor is saving tons of $$ on photo paper and ink.
R
RobertHJones
Jan 14, 2004
Barbara,

I have the Spyder and PhotoCal software and have been happy with it.

Colorvision markets the OptiCal as the "Professional" version and it does have more features and tweaks but, frankly, in my opinion, unless you’re running a graphics shop with a real need for those extra tweaks, it’s overkill. PhotoCal is plenty good enough.

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 14, 2004
Thanks, guys!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections