TL
Posted By
Terry_Lyle
Sep 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This has recently started happening and I’ve not changed anything that I know of. I get two or three thin horizontal white lines that go across the image. They don’t appear in the same place when different images are opened but they are there. Any suggestions on how to stop this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Sep 13, 2006
Unless you’re attempting to work with open files across a network, that’s bad hardware.

If the lines don’t print, suspect the video card.

If they do print, suspect bad or mismatched RAM, bad internal cables or bad connections.

If you are indeed attempting to open or save files over the network, please see the next post.
R
Ram
Sep 13, 2006
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
B
Buko
Sep 13, 2006
What Ramón said.

First thing I thought was Bad RAM
TL
Terry_Lyle
Sep 15, 2006
Thanks!
I don’t work on a network.
I suspect that it is bad RAM or other malfuntion. I recalled after I left this message that I had a Kernel Panic a week or so ago (my first ever). I got distracted and forgot about that. We’ve found that kernel panics usually relate to damaged software. Once we found it was bad RAM. Looks like I’ll have to do some investigation.
JK
John_Kallios
Sep 15, 2006
Are you using any form of transparency in Illustrator?

What format do you save out of Illustrator?

Do these white lines appear in Acrobat if you open there?

When zooming in, do the lines disappear?
TL
Terry_Lyle
Sep 15, 2006
No transparencies.

Files saved as .ai

White lines appear in acrobat as well.

Lines are there when zooming in.
JK
John_Kallios
Sep 15, 2006
Can you make a sample raw AI file available and the converted PDF showing the lines available?

You can email to: unisus (at) pacbell (dot) net

If you cannot or choose not to, no hard feelings. This is my spammed email account, so please post here that you have done so as I never check the account unless I need to.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 15, 2006
Are there placed files that are embedded?
C
crayola
Sep 15, 2006
Have you turned off smooth images in Acrobat?
JS
John_Slate
Sep 16, 2006
Display anomolies, only in the typical display. Turn on overprint preview
TL
Terry_Lyle
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks everyone for the comments. Sorry I haven’t gotten back sooner. I played around a little (and payed closer attention) and make some discoveries. This seems to only happen when I’m opening an AI file with placed images in Photoshop. If the art is all vector the lines do not appear. Since I’m opening the files in PS just to make JPEGS, I can work around that by going from AI or Image Ready instead. It is curious though that I’ve done this in PS a million times and only recently the lines have shown up.
Thanks again for your time and comments.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections