Posted By
rh86
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, all.

I’ve started hand-cropping proofs for better results, but at high-volume my current tools are killing my productivity. Most of the time isn’t spent doing the crop, but waiting for loading & saving.

Photoshop Elements 4 has worked fine for most of my "workflow" to-date and the cropping tool is great, but slow to load & save. On average, it’s taking 25 seconds to load, crop, and save an image, which makes for a *lot* of hours per event.

With the right tool, I know this could take less than 5 seconds per proof. I’ve tried IrfanView, which is very fast to load & save files (and is tweakable for fast save / load), but its hand cropping tool is really unfriendly.

Is there a better tool out there for cropping workflow? I’m looking for something very basic, but focused:
* Set a crop ratio (e.g., 3:2) (a la PSE)
* Quickly position / rotate / size the crop box (a la PSE) * Automatically / quickly save the file after crop & load the next file from the folder (a la IrfanView)

Any ideas? Is there a way to streamline this to be fast with PSE4 or CS2? Even getting the files to pre-load / save in the background could solve the PSE4 problem, though I’m probably trying to push a consumer product too far. 🙂

Thanks,
Richard

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

U
usenet
Sep 29, 2006
Richard H. wrote:

Hi, all.

I’ve started hand-cropping proofs for better results, but at high-volume my current tools are killing my productivity. Most of the time isn’t spent doing the crop, but waiting for loading & saving.
Photoshop Elements 4 has worked fine for most of my "workflow" to-date and the cropping tool is great, but slow to load & save. On average, it’s taking 25 seconds to load, crop, and save an image, which makes for a *lot* of hours per event.

With the right tool, I know this could take less than 5 seconds per proof. I’ve tried IrfanView, which is very fast to load & save files (and is tweakable for fast save / load), but its hand cropping tool is really unfriendly.

Is there a better tool out there for cropping workflow? I’m looking for something very basic, but focused:
* Quickly position / rotate / size the crop box (a la PSE) * Automatically / quickly save the file after crop & load the next file from the folder (a la IrfanView)

Any ideas? Is there a way to streamline this to be fast with PSE4 or CS2? Even getting the files to pre-load / save in the background could solve the PSE4 problem, though I’m probably trying to push a consumer product too far. 🙂

Open them all at the same time. Or maybe ten at a time or whatever. Then crop and save and close. Go to the next window.

If you were making the same crop on all of them it’d be easy, but it sounds like human interaction is required.
A
ASAAR
Sep 29, 2006
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:48:12 -0700, Richard H. wrote:

I’ve gotten somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 seconds per, using IrfanView to crop hundreds of images. The hand cropping tool by default is pretty poor, especially if the crop frame is created from scratch each time using the mouse. But if you’ve defined a default Custom Crop frame size, it can be invoked as quickly as you can type <Shift>-C <Enter>. Slightly slower if you do it through the menu using a mouse. Then the mouse can very quickly slide the crop frame wherever you want it, as well as make height and width adjustments, either individually, or preserving the frame’s aspect ratio.
A
ASAAR
Sep 29, 2006

I replied too quickly. I should have added that IrfanView can do this with the exception of rotating the crop frame. A very simple work around is also quite fast. Rotate the image first (type L or
R) and then add the crop frame. Crop, rotate once more (if
appropriate) and save.
R
rh86
Sep 29, 2006
Paul Mitchum wrote:

Open them all at the same time. Or maybe ten at a time or whatever. Then crop and save and close. Go to the next window.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just tried this on a set, and it was even slower. At least with this approach, it seems that memory is an issue for PSE4. (This is a P4
3.3GHz, 1GB RAM.)

The problem is (at least with PSE4) that opening & saving isn’t a background task – nothing else can be done in the editor while that’s happening.

If you were making the same crop on all of them it’d be easy, but it sounds like human interaction is required.

Exactly. Each one’s unique. (Quick-cropping proof images to make them more appealing.)

Thanks,
Richard
PR
Paul Rubin
Sep 29, 2006
"Richard H." writes:

1. Use some kind of batch script to make small versions (like 640×480) of each picture.

2. Load and crop each of those pictures with your favorite tool or script. They should load very fast, since they’re small.

3. Use another batch script to use the small crop to decide how to crop the large version. That can run slow and unattended.
R
rh86
Sep 29, 2006
ASAAR wrote:
I’ve gotten somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 seconds per, using IrfanView to crop hundreds of images. The hand cropping tool by default is pretty poor, especially if the crop frame is created from scratch each time using the mouse. But if you’ve defined a default Custom Crop frame size, it can be invoked as quickly as you can type <Shift>-C <Enter>. Slightly slower if you do it through the menu

I can tell that IrfanView has a lot of potential here (it’s really fast, and the File | Save dialog boxes can be disabled), but the interface for cropping is pretty painful.

By rotate, what I mean is flipping the ratio of the crop box from portrait to landscape – how do you do this? The preset ratios don’t do anything until you edit the size fields, so it seems to require a lot of repetitive back & forth between mouse & keyboard.

I was using a custom frame, but couldn’t see how to reposition it (right-click, drag) – that was a killer; now, at least I can make it work. The keyboard shortcuts and ctrl+drag are workable, but will probably drive me crazy quickly.

Still looking… 🙂

Thanks,
Richard
R
rh86
Sep 29, 2006
Paul Rubin wrote:
1. Use some kind of batch script to make small versions (like 640×480) of each picture.

2. Load and crop each of those pictures with your favorite tool or script. They should load very fast, since they’re small.

🙂 There’s an idea I should have thought of by now. During the Raw-> JPEG conversion step, I could resize to ~0.5MP and hand-crop from there. In this case, the online proofs are only 500×333 pixels, so even 0.5MP would give a lot of cropping latitude. It should load & save a lot faster too.

3. Use another batch script to use the small crop to decide how to crop the large version. That can run slow and unattended.

This idea is intriguing. What tools will batch crop the high-res image based on the cropping of the low-res version like this?

Thanks,
Richard
A
ASAAR
Sep 29, 2006
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:16:39 -0700, Richard H. wrote:

I can tell that IrfanView has a lot of potential here (it’s really fast, and the File | Save dialog boxes can be disabled), but the interface for cropping is pretty painful.

By rotate, what I mean is flipping the ratio of the crop box from portrait to landscape – how do you do this? The preset ratios don’t do anything until you edit the size fields, so it seems to require a lot of repetitive back & forth between mouse & keyboard.

I answered that shortly in a second reply posted several minutes after the initial reply. You probably read the first reply before the second was sent off. On the off chance that the second reply didn’t make it to you, here’s what was posted:

I replied too quickly. I should have added that IrfanView can do this with the exception of rotating the crop frame. A very simple work around is also quite fast. Rotate the image first (type L or
appropriate) and save.
RH
Ron Hunter
Sep 29, 2006
Richard H. wrote:
Hi, all.

Thanks,
Richard
I don’t have PSE4 (only PSE3), but are you saving the pictures in .jpg format, .tiff, or the Photoshop format? I don’t notice any slow saving as I operate almost exclusively in .jpg format.
SW
Steve Wolfe
Sep 29, 2006

This doesn’t sound like it would be terribly difficult to automate in CS2, I don’t know how PSE handles things. I’m going to record an action which sets the crop tool to 3:2, and check it so that it will always pause and wait for my input on the crop. Then I’m going to run it as a batch process on a folder full of 8MP JPGs.

Alright, it opens a file, brings up a crop shield at 6×4 inches, and waits for me to adjust it as I need. After I hit "enter" to apply the crop, it’s 3 seconds or less until the next JPG is up and waiting with a fresh 6×4 crop shield, waiting for me to do my part. That seems like it fits all of your criteria.

Now if you’re opening RAW files, processing them is inherantly slower than processing JPGs, and that will be true regardless of which program you use. However, you don’t necessarily need to process the entire RAW data, but can do your cropping on the embedded preview JPG – open all (well, up to 200) of your RAW files at once in ACR, then go through and apply crops/settings/etc. as you please, and then tell it to save them all in your format of choice at the end, while you do something else.

steve
B
bugbear
Sep 29, 2006
Richard H. wrote:
Paul Rubin wrote:

🙂 There’s an idea I should have thought of by now. During the Raw-> JPEG conversion step, I could resize to ~0.5MP and hand-crop from there. In this case, the online proofs are only 500×333 pixels, so even 0.5MP would give a lot of cropping latitude. It should load & save a lot faster too.

This idea is intriguing. What tools will batch crop the high-res image based on the cropping of the low-res version like this?

Can’t think of one – the size information is clearly available, by the x,y offset isn’t.

Otherwise it would be trivial in perl/ImageMagick/PerlMagick.

The model (BTW) is similar to that of the defunct
FlashPix,
http://www.i3a.org/i_flashpix.html
which in turn was based on concepts
from the "LivePix" product,
which IIRC was in turn based on
something esarlier than I can’t recall.

BugBear
K
krash
Sep 29, 2006
this is a nice little program, I don’t know how good it is as I am new to dig pix’s, but check it out…. kk

http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

"Richard H." wrote in message
Hi, all.

Thanks,
Richard
B
bugbear
Sep 29, 2006
bugbear wrote:
The model (BTW) is similar to that of the defunct
FlashPix,
http://www.i3a.org/i_flashpix.html
which in turn was based on concepts
from the "LivePix" product,
which IIRC was in turn based on
something esarlier than I can’t recall.

For completeness…

http://www.byte.com/art/9501/sec12/art2.htm

BugBear
PR
Paul Rubin
Sep 29, 2006
"Richard H." writes:

Don’t know of one offhand for Windows. It wouldn’t be that hard to throw something together. Of course the crop tool would have to record the location of the crop somehow.
R
rh86
Sep 29, 2006
Ron Hunter wrote:
I don’t have PSE4 (only PSE3), but are you saving the pictures in .jpg format, .tiff, or the Photoshop format? I don’t notice any slow saving as I operate almost exclusively in .jpg format.

I’m opening from and saving as JPEG, Highest Quality (which could be reduced for this purpose). Writing back to the same filename (a working copy).

On a one-off basis it’s not a big delay, but overall the process is taking too long per image. Well under 10 seconds is being spent per image on the actual crop placement, with everything else being steps to open or save.

Thanks,
Richard
R
rh86
Sep 29, 2006
Steve Wolfe wrote:
This doesn’t sound like it would be terribly difficult to automate in CS2, I don’t know how PSE handles things. I’m going to record an action which sets the crop tool to 3:2, and check it so that it will always pause and wait for my input on the crop. Then I’m going to run it as a batch process on a folder full of 8MP JPGs.

Alright, it opens a file, brings up a crop shield at 6×4 inches, and waits for me to adjust it as I need. After I hit "enter" to apply the crop, it’s 3 seconds or less until the next JPG is up and waiting with a fresh 6×4 crop shield, waiting for me to do my part. That seems like it fits all of your criteria.

Indeed, it does! PSE does not allow for this type of scripting.

Well, this would be a good reason to upgrade to CS2. I’ve avoided it so far because PSE was doing a good job of meeting my needs.

Can you tell me what the rough specs are for your system? (CPU, speed, RAM)

Now if you’re opening RAW files, processing them is inherantly slower than processing JPGs, and that will be true regardless of which program you use.

True. I’ve been doing the RAW->JPG conversion in batch separately to avoid this conversion delay.

Thanks!
Richard
R
rh86
Sep 29, 2006
www.kevinkienlein.com wrote:
this is a nice little program, I don’t know how good it is as I am new to dig pix’s, but check it out…. kk

Very nice! Pretty much exactly what I’m looking for – very fast all-around.

Thanks for the pointer!!

Cheers,
Richard
J
JC Dill
Sep 29, 2006
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:29:05 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

appropriate) and save.

That’s a GREAT tip. Thanks. I’m going to give it a try with my next batch of event photos.

jc

"The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot of different horses without having to own that many." ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare’s Nest, PA
J
JC Dill
Sep 29, 2006
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:27:20 -0700, "Richard H." wrote:

Paul Rubin wrote:

That’s your #1 time saver right there. I haven’t been doing custom cropping of my even proofs due to the exact problems you were hoping to solve. Now that I have some more tips on how to use Irfanview I’ll be doing something like this:

A) I shoot RAW+jpeg, separate jpegs to a different folder.
B) Irfanview batch resize jpegs. Presently I resize to max 800
pixels, but to leave room for cropping I’ll try resize to max 1600.
C) Irfanview sort/chimp/crop, using the "custom crop selection" and
the L/R tips that AASAR posted.
D) Irfanview batch sharpen, and perhaps also resize to max 800 pix. This depends on how many images I crop – if I do a lot of cropping to a lot of images, I may just upload them as cropped. My gallery site does more resizing for me automagically.

Irfanview is a very handy program. If it would let the user rotate the crop orientation on the fly it would be a super handy program. Irfan, are you listening? 🙂

jc

"The nice thing about a mare is you get to ride a lot of different horses without having to own that many." ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare’s Nest, PA
R
rh86
Sep 29, 2006

I’m impressed. I just tried it on a small batch and got the average time down to 15 seconds per image, including discarding bad images.

Thanks again!
R
rh86
Sep 29, 2006
JC Dill wrote:

That’s your #1 time saver right there.

That’s what I would have thought. It did save a lot of time with the approach of opening a lot of files and then closing them as they’re cropped (60 seconds -> 30 seconds).

However, I was already getting 25 seconds on average by opening & processing the files one-by-one in PSE. (I haven’t re-benchmarked this one-by-one approach with smaller files in PSE yet.)

A) I shoot RAW+jpeg, separate jpegs to a different folder.
B) Irfanview batch resize jpegs. Presently I resize to max 800
pixels, but to leave room for cropping I’ll try resize to max 1600.
C) Irfanview sort/chimp/crop, using the "custom crop selection" and
the L/R tips that AASAR posted.
D) Irfanview batch sharpen, and perhaps also resize to max 800 pix. This depends on how many images I crop – if I do a lot of cropping to a lot of images, I may just upload them as cropped. My gallery site does more resizing for me automagically.

My current process:
* Shoot RAW only (more images per card)
* Batch convert to JPEG w/ resizing in PSE
* Manual crop to 2:3
* Batch resize to 500×333 for EventManager upload
* Bulk FTP upload, then delete the JPEGs

Although EM will do the 500×333 reduction after upload, if I can do it ahead of time it save on the upload time. (I’m working toward an approach of uploading from the field via a cellphone modem, so size is key.)

Cheers,
Richard
A
ASAAR
Sep 29, 2006
On 29 Sep 2006 18:44:34 +0200, JC Dill wrote:

appropriate) and save.

That’s a GREAT tip. Thanks. I’m going to give it a try with my next batch of event photos.

You’re welcome. I remember you asking about that before and wish I had thought of it earlier but at least you were around to notice.
N
NerveGas
Sep 29, 2006
Indeed, it does! PSE does not allow for this type of scripting.
Well, this would be a good reason to upgrade to CS2. I’ve avoided it so far because PSE was doing a good job of meeting my needs.
Can you tell me what the rough specs are for your system? (CPU, speed, RAM)

That was on my laptop. On the plus side, it has a Core Duo CPU (although the lowliest of the lineup, the t2300e – very light on the battery!). On the down side, it has a very slow hard drive. It has 2 gigs of memory, but for that sort of operation, memory isn’t going to be a huge factor.

I just tried it on my Athlon 64 X2, but pulling the files across the network – which, if anything, would be another bottleneck. It still took 3 seconds or less between hitting "enter" and having the next image ready with the crop shield.

steve
K
krash
Sep 30, 2006
in my surfing the newsgroups and several tens of THOUSANDS of old postings I found as few gems… kk

"Richard H." wrote in message

Very nice! Pretty much exactly what I’m looking for – very fast all-around.

Thanks for the pointer!!

Cheers,
Richard
PR
Paul Repacholi
Sep 30, 2006
"Richard H." writes:

I just tried this on a set, and it was even slower. At least with this approach, it seems that memory is an issue for PSE4. (This is a P4 3.3GHz, 1GB RAM.)

Add more memory, and a SCSI disk or two. Memory is probably the big one.

Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd., +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
West Australia 6076
comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it’s all half baked.
EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.
BC
Bill Crocker
Sep 30, 2006
wrote in message
"Richard H." writes:

I just tried this on a set, and it was even slower. At least with this approach, it seems that memory is an issue for PSE4. (This is a P4 3.3GHz, 1GB RAM.)

Add more memory, and a SCSI disk or two. Memory is probably the big one.

Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd., +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
West Australia 6076

I don’t know if SCSI is a big performance advantage over today’s modern SATA hard drives.

Bill Crocker
DW
Don Wiss
Sep 30, 2006
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Bill Crocker wrote:

I don’t know if SCSI is a big performance advantage over today’s modern SATA hard drives.

I haven’t checked recently, but it had been about triple the expense per GB. SCSI drives can be bought with 15,000 rpm and they do have that 320 transfer rate. But it is really hard to justify the cost premium.

(My home PCs have been SCSI for some 13 years, but my next won’t be.)

Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
B
bugbear
Oct 2, 2006

Aah! It layers over JPEGTran – that the "gold" in this solution.

BugBear (who used JPEGtran to make normal JPEGS progressive without loss)
R
rh86
Oct 3, 2006
bugbear wrote:

Yep. I haven’t quite dug into JPEGtran yet, though I’m tempted to.

JPEGcrop made a significant slash in my processing time, but there’s still a lot of wasted time that could be squeezed out with some relatively minor user interface changes.

Someone here tested Photoshop CS2 with some impressive results, and its cropping interface is a slicker. I’m debating whether to spring the $289 on Photoshop CS2 (upgrade) or dust off the compiler and try and craft my own front-end to JPEGtran…

Anybody know where PS CS2 can be had for less (legitimately)?

Cheers,
Richard
DW
Don Wiss
Oct 3, 2006
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:55:43 -0700, "Richard H." wrote:

JPEGcrop made a significant slash in my processing time, but there’s still a lot of wasted time that could be squeezed out with some relatively minor user interface changes.

(1) It is JPEGcrops plural. Singular JPEGcrop is another program (which is also lossless, but only does one at a time).

(2) Suggest your interface changes to the author. He may be receptive.

Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).
K
krash
Oct 3, 2006
I take it you think this is ok then?? :o) kk

"bugbear" wrote in message

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections