J
Posted By
jhsinger
Jul 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On my G5, why would opening and saving a file take less time on a FW800 drive (Lacie D2 Extreme) than on an internal SATA drive?

I got the following times:
SATA HD:
Open: 27.1 seconds
Save: 51.6 seconds

FW800 HD:
Open: 18.7 seconds
Save: 27.2 seconds

To get those times I opened photoshop, then opened the file from the SATA drive. Modified the file and saved it. I then closed Photoshop and did the same thing with an identical file on the FW800 drive.

The FW800 drive is almost twice as fast as the internal SATA drive!

In my G5 I have two internal disks. The first is the 150GB drive that came with it. The second drive is a 35G Western Digital Raptor that is only used as a scratch disk for photoshop. The G5 has 2.5GB of ram. In PS I have the max mem useage set to 75%.

Jeff

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 24, 2004
How do the specs of the two drives compare? (Rotation speed, drive data transfer (read/write) rates, drive cache, cable transfer rate, etc.) I’ve never been a fan of Western Digital drives — kinda like classic British cars with Lucas electrics.

Neil
L
Larryr544
Jul 24, 2004
Also how big is the file you are opening. Most of these drives have an 8MB buffer.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 24, 2004
FW 800 on a G5? you need to lease your drive to the folks at www.barefeats.com they can’t get them up to speed with their G5…
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 26, 2004
Larger buffer on the FW drive?

Different formats?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 27, 2004
AFAIK, All Sata drives have 8Mb of cache.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections