MT
Posted By
Michael_Tissington
Sep 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Are any laptops up to working with Photoshop ?

For critical work I’ll be using it with an external monitor.

Michael Tissington

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 27, 2006
Yes, as long as you meet the System requirements for Photoshop, which any newer laptop probably would.
MT
Michael_Tissington
Sep 27, 2006
Well, meeting system requirments is one thing, but I want photoshop to speed along, not feel like its stuck in mud.

And I’ll be producing photos that I can sell from it.

Michael
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 27, 2006
Computers don’t produce photos: people and cameras do.

Ed’s answer is correct. And, like any computer, the more RAM and HDD space the better.

In the final analysis, all things being equal, it depends on file size and what you’re doing with them.
MT
Michael_Tissington
Sep 28, 2006
All things are not equal, its generaly known that desktops offer better performance and one options, for example, the ability to install a second disk and to use it as a swap disk in photoshop. The disk drive rpm also effect performance, again more choice in desktops

I’m talking about 10MB RAW images, most with 3 or 4 layers in PS.

"John Joslin" wrote in message
Computers don’t produce photos: people and cameras do.

Ed’s answer is correct. And, like any computer, the more RAM and HDD space the better.

In the final analysis, all things being equal, it depends on file size and what you’re doing with them.
AC
Art Campbell
Sep 28, 2006
So go to the Dell site and look at the portable high-end workstations.

The requirements are the same no matter the type of system: at least 2-4 RAM, two hard drives if you can fit two in a chassis, and a fast processor.

Art
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 28, 2006
Yes Michael, laptops today are quite cabable of being desktop replacements where photoshop is concerned. The issues you brought up about "options" are entirely configuable by any of the major laptop manufacturers.

The downside of Laptops, IMO, is the lack of expandability over time.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 28, 2006
"All things being equal" did not mean laptops are equal to desktops.

Read it again.

(BTW, Photoshop uses a Scratch Disk, not a swap disk – you may be confusing it with the OS Swap File.)
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 28, 2006
There’s always going to be a trade off between the features of one kind of machine and another. If not we’d all be using laptops and no one would use desktops.

There are lots of people running Photoshop on laptops with no problems, so the answer to the question is yes. I think it’s a matter of whether you need the portability or not.
MT
Michael_Tissington
Sep 28, 2006
"All things being equal" – I still don’t get it (but I have the answer from other posters)

Write it again 😉

Michael

"John Joslin" wrote in message
"All things being equal" did not mean laptops are equal to desktops.
Read it again.

(BTW, Photoshop uses a Scratch Disk, not a swap disk – you may be confusing it with the OS Swap File.)
RB
Roger_Benedict
Sep 28, 2006
I’m also looking for a laptop, and Dell’s Precision M90 ain’t cheap, but it comes with up to 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM for memory, but only 120GB HD maximum. The HP Pavilion dv9000t has up to 240GB of storage (120GB X 2) and up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM. These are their high-end 17" widescreen notebooks. Suggest you read some reviews and check out the specs.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections