Best laptop lcd monitor for color acuracy?

B
Posted By
bogus
Jan 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I see that this subject has been touched on before, but would like to know if anyone has current information. I will need to "go portable" fairly soon. I am currently using a color-managed workflow with my desktop system, and would like to duplicate that workflow on a laptop-based system. so, any recommendations for a laptop with an lcd that can be reliably calibrated using eye-one? I have taken a look at the sony with the x-brite, and it looks nice, but, aside from the salesman’s assurances, I have no idea whether or not I can calibrate this screen

thanks

Jack

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WD
Walter Donavan
Jan 23, 2006
It is my (possibly ignorant) understanding that attempting to calibrate an LCD monitor, laptop or not, is a waste of time? Perhaps you could attach a CRT to the laptop when you had to use it for color-sensitive work?

Walterius
Old and possiblky ignorant in Fort Lauderdale
T
Tacit
Jan 23, 2006
In article <Zk8Bf.5827$>,
"Walterius" wrote:

It is my (possibly ignorant) understanding that attempting to calibrate an LCD monitor, laptop or not, is a waste of time? Perhaps you could attach a CRT to the laptop when you had to use it for color-sensitive work?

Some LCDs are better than others. The high-brightness LCDs used on high-end Sony and Alienware systems and on new Powerbooks and Macbooks can be calibrated reasonably well; the LCDs used on low-end laptops are essentially impossible to calibrate and have very narrow fields of view.

Using a CRT with a laptop is a good idea if you care about color accuracy.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
S
shadowdancer
Jan 30, 2006
I have dual monitors two different brands of crts over the two I have which are envision and a Sony the Sony is 100 % better on gamma plus it has a optional back light that you can adjust to suit your needs the envision I had for 4 months and had to send it back it went yellow on me it works again all colors correct but it isn’t nearly as crisp as the Sony

Once in awhile,
Right in the middle of a ordinary life
Love gives us a fairytale
B
BonusBear
Feb 1, 2006
Hi,

Gonna jump in here, this is my first posting, i joined the group about …hmmmmm….five seconds ago now, so hello and this is something i’ve been musing on lately anway.

I recently started shooting straight into my laptop. My laptop screen isn’t great but i’ve calibrated it with a color plus spyder and software and it’s 300% better, so i would say go ahead and calibrate your lcd, you have nothing to lose.

I always use a greyscale to calibrate to so i can tell by numbers alone that my colours are correct. For me, having an ok ish screen to proof on when shooting is good practise (if in a very perverse way) – if it looks good on a crappy screen it’s going to look great on a good screen and will go to print great too.

However, once shot everything goes onto a desktop and is viewed with a CRT – i’d never dream of retouching on the laptop, it lacks finesse big time.

My CRT really needs replacing and i’m having a real dilemma – what should i replace it with? i really like the look of the formac gallery extreme (i could really do with the space it would save) but would it be better to stick with a CRT – are they really the only choice for critical work? if so which CRT, there’s so much choice out there……??????

hmmmmm… not sure i’ve answered the question so much as thrown in a few more, sorry if that’s the case
A
adykes
Feb 1, 2006
In article <Zk8Bf.5827$>,
Walterius wrote:

Per a discussion with a guy that teaches and consults on process and color calibration for high-end commercial publications, The *best* LCD monitors are OK with the exception of color shift with off-angle viewing. This more of a problem as the LCD gets larger, which doesn’t describe most laptops. AT the time, his beloved Sony had just been taken off the market because Sony had just stopped making Trinitron tubes and he was resigned to using LCDs.

We didn’t discuss laptops, specifically.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore.
LB
liz.barnard
Feb 2, 2006
Sony Trinitron! I’ve got a brilliant Sony Trinitron TV screen….can I hitch my laptop up to that? Or are the technologies incompatible? I doubt my TV has a USB port tho".

Zizzie
LB
liz.barnard
Feb 2, 2006
Sony Trinitron! I’ve got a brilliant Sony Trinitron TV screen….can I hitch my laptop up to that? Or are the technologies incompatible? I doubt my TV has a USB port tho".

Zizzie
MR
Mike Russell
Feb 2, 2006
wrote in message

For general Photoshop work the image will be too blurry, the refresh rate too slow (50 or 60 hz) and although there are profiles for NTSC and PAL, the colors will probably be quite different from what you would see with a normal monitor or on your printer.

But my second monitor is a TV. A TV monitor can be useful if your images will be displayed on video, or if you want to record or view video using your computer.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
A
adykes
Feb 2, 2006
In article ,
wrote:

Zizzie

Does it have a color spyder built-in No? I didn’t think so. 🙂

What I ment by "trinitron" in the context of a Photoshop discussion was the premium version computer monitor sold to the graphics industry for (I’m told) about $2k. It came wth a spyder and existed becuase the Sony quality control step of the production line could select the best of the TV tubes that came off the line and divert them to this product.

My friend said he replaced his, every two years to maintain accuracy.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections