AC
Posted By
Andrew_Cassino
Dec 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to get a new laptop and I want to be sure to get something that works with CS4. In particular – the GPU acceleration. If you have a recent laptop that works, please post details here!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

F
Freeagent
Dec 6, 2008
hp dv9550 works fine, but I’ve mercilessly removed all the crap hp put in there.

As 32-bit laptops go, this is very good for Photoshop with two hard drives, 4GB and nVidia 8600 GS-M. The display sucks of course, although calibration improved it tremendously.

Note that the video card has no dedicated RAM, instead it draws on system RAM. It tends to choke on multiple large files.
F
Freeagent
Dec 6, 2008
….ah, but to answer the question, yes, OpenGL features are smooth.
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 6, 2008
My Macbook works great with Mac and Windows versions.

Very versatile machine.

Bob
M
multi-mediacorp
Dec 7, 2008
I too am planning on a new laptop. I have CS3 only on my workstation. None of my other computers are robust enough to run it. I need a backup just in case the big box goes out during a deadline run…
The unit I have been looking at is the old Dell XPS M-2010. I like this one for the large screen and dual internal HDs. I would upgrade it to 4Mb Ram. I do NOT want Vista, so the ones I have my eye on are either XP Pro or XP Media Center. I used to edit on Avid and they frowned on Media Center.
Does anyone here have any experience with either the M-2010 or XP Media Center. Thanks in advance
Dale at Multi-Media Corp
F
Freeagent
Dec 7, 2008
I do NOT want Vista

By all reports here, xp’ers have more problems.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 7, 2008
Following up on that advice, Vista is not as bad as its reputation. In fact, it is better for PS than XP

(Note: please do not recommence the OS war!)
V
valtr
Dec 7, 2008
have a question i know intrests other than me too.

I have a laptop with the mobile intel 945 express and my photoshop cs4 does not let me use the opengl drawing.
WHY is this?

I know that my graphics card is totally not top of the line but it IS opengl-supporting card and has done well running adequately ervery other opengl sofware so WHY oh WHY does photoshop cs4 deny the core new features from me?

Please, adope people FIX THIS or tell me what im doing wrong. I think that if you promise features that work with opengl-compliant video card, that i would GET the features with MY OPENGL COMPLIANT VIDEO CARD
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 7, 2008
Note that, according to Adobe, the card must have at least 128 MB RAM and support for OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 7, 2008
Valtr,
According to the intel website 945 express only supports up to opengl 1.4

Go to the intel website for more information
CH
CR_Henderson
Dec 7, 2008
David E Crawford:According to the intel website 945 express only supports up to opengl 1.4

An Intel engineer has been on this forum–forget exactly which thread–but he did say that Intel was working on new drivers for some of their motherboard display chipsets and expected an update that supported CS4 in the March 2009 timeframe. I don’t remember if the 945 was specifically mentioned or not.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 8, 2008
CR,
I do not remember 945 mentioned but I do remember what the other part just can’t remember what thread. lol, just so many now.
KU
Karsh_Urk
Jan 10, 2009
I have a Toshiba Satellite P-105 with Intel 945 and Photoshop CS4, it didn’t work until I uninstalled the driver and use the one Windows XP have for default.. so It works now.

I think it was Photoshop CS4 being stupid 😛

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections