Problem with text cursor (possibly b/c of paths)

PW
Posted By
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I click to use my text cursor and click on the white space to start typing, that little black dot is all that shows up. When I try to type, nothing appears in the white space, although if I hit the check mark agreeing that I want to keep the text, whatever I typed shows up in the layers palette titles. I was typing text on a path (which was working) prior to trying to type text in this normal horizontal fashion. I’m using a colour that would show up on a white background, so I don’t know what’s wrong. Also, if I’m not mistaken, the little black dot that shows up (as pictured) should actually look different (have a line coming out from it or something) if the text function were working properly.

Help?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CB
charles badland
Jul 22, 2006
Try resetting your Character Palette. (Click on the small black triangle in the upper right of the Character Palette. This opens a drop-down menu. Reset Character is at the bottom.)
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
I tried that, but it didn’t do anything.
CB
charles badland
Jul 22, 2006
Try trashing your preferences: Quit Photoshop. Hold down the Shift+Option+Command(Apple) keys AS you launch Photoshop. You’ll get a small dialog asking if you want to delete your preference settings (or something like that) click OK.
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
I don’t know why, but I got the cursor/text to work properly, but then it went away again.

I tried the preferences thing, but it only gave me a dialog box that allowed me to add plug-ins.
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
Actually it’s APPLE+ALT/OPTION+SHIFT…and it seems to have worked when I open a new file (the text cursor is back) but if I open an old saved file, it doesn’t work (like as described above). Hmm. Peculiar.
CB
charles badland
Jul 22, 2006
Hold down the Shift+Option+Command(Apple) keys…

As I tried to indicate, the "Apple key" is called the Command key. Hope you get your type working.
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
for some reason, I really must have thought you said the control key b/c that’s what I kept pushing initially. actually, now it only works for some new files and not for others. it’s really perplexing…I might just reinstall it. It’s actually making me notably angry and frustrated.
CB
charles badland
Jul 22, 2006
I doubt a reinstall would do anything… maybe.
When the type does not work, do you see flashing vertical line at the insertion point? Does it matter what font is chosen? Is there a layer above hiding the type? Double-check your type tool options and the character palette.
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
There’s isn’t a flashing vertical line…that’s the problem. There’s just that black dot. It doesn’t matter what font it is. Do you mean is there a layer above the type layer? B/c if yes, then no there isn’t.
CB
charles badland
Jul 22, 2006
And the Type Tool cursor looks normal before clicking once? And a Type Layer becomes visible in the Layers Palette?
Sorry, I’m stumped. Wait for some others to chime-in. Good luck
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
Yes and yes. Thanks for your help, regardless.
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2006
What is the size of the type? is it bigger than will show in the doc?

What is the leading? is that too big?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 22, 2006
I think what you’ve done is moved the cursor slightly and made a tiny text box. Zoom way in on it to see.

Also, what’s the resolution of your file?
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
The size of the type is def. small enough to be read…it’s size 14. And there’s not even a blinking cursor.

If I’ve made a tiny text box, why does it show up every single time I try to type? Sometimes I can see a little black smudge where it seems like there’s miniscule text (when I zoom really far in) but it’s not distinguishable. And it’s only sometimes.

It doesn’t really matter what file…..it seems to work on most new files but not when I open an old one.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 22, 2006
The size of type is resolution dependent, so if your resolution is ridiculously low, like 1 ppi, it will be practically invisible. I’ve heard of it happening several times. The resolution gets changed without you knowing.
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
^ So how do I change the resolution back to normal?

I actually figured out that if I make the text 600 pt, I can see it…and it looks like *normal* 8 pt text. So i don’t know why it’s so small…and how I can change that.
R
Ram
Jul 22, 2006
Image menu > Image Size > Document size > Resolution.
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
what should I change the resolution to?
R
Ram
Jul 22, 2006
That depends entirely on the intended use of your image file.

For instance: 72 pixels per inch (ppi) for the web, 300ppi or 360ppi for high quality prints, 150ppi or less for very large posters or billboards, etc.
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
Well, what is default, generally? 72 ppi? I don’t tend to change the resolution b/c it’s just for graphics online, mostly….but what is Photoshop’s default resolution setting?
R
Ram
Jul 22, 2006
There is no such thing as a "Photoshop’s default resolution setting". It’s whatever the image is tagged with or what you define in Preferences for new images.
PW
Phoebe_Wu
Jul 22, 2006
^ but what if you just downloaded photoshop and you open a new file…will it not have a particular resolution setting?

Thanks for everyone’s help – my resolution was at 1 ppi.
R
Ram
Jul 22, 2006
Sigh…

If you open a file, it will open at whatever resolution it is tagged at.

If you create a new file, it will be at whatever resolution you have defined.

If it’s the first time you ever run Photoshop and you neglect to set a resolution, it will probably be at 72ppi, but that is irrelevant.

If you are working for the web, set it at 72ppi and be prepared to look at some pretty bad type, unless you are using specific web fonts and know what you are doing. :/
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 22, 2006
Change it to 72 with Resampling UNCHECKED.

As others have said, there is no default. You use whatever is appropriate for final output. But 72 should allow you to see your text.
CB
charles badland
Jul 23, 2006
Phoebe,
Glad this was figured out. The default font size unit is based on the physical print dimensions of your document. (one point is about 1/72 of an inch). One way around this is to set your font size to pixels instead of points.
L
Lundberg02
Jul 24, 2006
This 1 ppi thing started happening around PS 7 and has been discussed many times.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 24, 2006
Pretty sure I’ve heard of it happening in 6 and possibly before.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections