ZS
Posted By
Zina_Saunders
Sep 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Since updating to 9.0.2, I’ve noticed the same thing that happened when I had updated to 9.0.1, back in May:

When painting with the brush, when I toggle to the eyedropper tool (using the Option key) the cursor does not always immediately turn into the crosshairs, but remains as the brush cursor (I have my preferences set to display the Normal Brush Tip and the eyedropper as Precise). The tool is actually acting as the eyedropper, but the cursor display does not immediately change. It does change after a second or two, though. This did not happen with PS CS2 9.0 on the same machine, same set-up.

I have tried resetting just the eyedropper tool, as well as the brush tool, as well as trashing prefs, to no avail.

I have tried it with both the DiasbleVMBuffering plugin installed and not installed, and it doesn’t change the behavior.

It’s better than it was with the 9.0.1 update because some of the time it works properly (the 9.0.1 update problem was bad enough for my kind of work to force me to go back to 9.0), but it’s still very difficult to paint in a fluid way when toggling from the brush tool doesn’t give me the precise selection cursor for selecting colors.

Also, the cursor soemtimes remains the brush cursor when I go to the color palette to choose colors there or move the sliders. After a second or two it changes to the correct cursor.

Particulars: 2 GHz G5, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.4.6, dual monitor set-up, Intuos 3 Wacom.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 16, 2006
I am using 9.0.2 on OSX 10.4.7 on a similar machine to yours and I do see a very slight hesitation (but less than one second) when the Eyedropper is set to use the precise cursor.

However, the hesitation seems to disappear if I use the standard cursor.
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Sep 16, 2006
Interesting, Ann. Thanks for confirming the issue, though the delay sounds like its more noticeable here. Unfortunately, for doing the kind of work I do with Photoshop, I need to use the precise cursor display.

I think I have to revert to PS 9.0. I can’t remember the procedure for doing that (though I did it last Spring, when I tried out the 9.0.1 update and found the same problem); is it simply a matter of re installing PSCS2 from the install disk, or do I need to throw prefs or setting out?

Thanks again.
B
Buko
Sep 16, 2006

9.0.1 fixed the the curser lag if you have over 4 GB RAM
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Sep 16, 2006
Yes, but just to be clear: that’s a different issue than the one I’m reporting on here.
B
Buko
Sep 16, 2006
I know that.

You said you wanted to go back to 9.

I was just reminding you of the lag thing if you have more than 4 GB RAM.
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Sep 16, 2006
Oh, I see! But the problem was, as I mentioned in my original post, that this very problem I’m seeing now was what made me revert to 9.0 back when I first tried the 9.0.1 update. I wish I could use it, believe me!

But thanks, Buko.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 18, 2006
Zina – yes, that’s a MacOS 10.4 bug that Adobe hasn’t been able to do anything about (Apple needs to fix it). The exact same thing happens in 9.0.0, 9.0.1 and 9.0.2.

It’ll come and go (unfortunately, we don’t know the nature of the Apple bug that causes this, so we can’t even suggest a workaround).
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Sep 18, 2006
Thanks for the info, Chris. Much appreciated.

Though I don’t see it in 9.0.0 here, so I went back.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 18, 2006
I wish I knew why it happens sometimes and not others.
But I’ve been able to reproduce it in all of the 9.0 versions — the key is MacOS 10.4.

And I’d really recommend using 9.0.2 for all the bug fixes.
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Sep 18, 2006
That’s so funny…I don’t see the precise cursor display lag at all when I’m using 9.0.0. (I’m on 10.4.6)

I wish I could use 9.0.2; I was really excited about updating to it. But it makes it so hard for me to paint the way I do, when the precise cursor display lags so much, that I just had to revert to 9.0.0

If there’s any info I can provide that you might find helpful, please let me know.

Many thanks

Zina
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 18, 2006
Oh, well – you’ll eventually see the same problem in 9.0.0, and you’ll have all the bugs that were fixed in the dot releases as well.
B
Buko
Sep 18, 2006
Wel you need to update to 10.4.7 to fix the printing issue
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Sep 19, 2006
Chris — I guess I’m lucky, for I’ve not seen it in all the time I’ve been using 9.0.0 on 10.4.6; I hope my luck holds out.

Buko — I’m not aware of a printing issue with 9.0.0 and 10.4.6; I was under the impression there were printing problems with the Photoshop updates. Am I mistaken?
B
Buko
Sep 19, 2006
Yes 10.4.6 is the problem 10.4.7 is the fix.
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections