DE
Posted By
Daniel_E._Ruth
Jul 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed about 1400 fonts on my computer because as a graphic design major in college I find use for a lot of fonts. Now when I open Photoshop CS, everything loads fine but I go to use the type tool and it shows me only from A-F while I know the fonts are loaded properly because Illustrator CS, iChat, Microsoft Office everything but Photoshop picks them up. Any suggestions, already tried deleting the preference files, but nothing.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jul 18, 2006
Photoshop has an unofficial font limit. Get a font manager such as FontAgentPro from www.insidersoftware.com
B
Buko
Jul 18, 2006
This is covered in the FAQs. You need a font manager. only activate the fonts you need.

Scott has suggested the best font manager there are others listed in the FAQ.
D
Dirk
Jul 18, 2006
FontAgentPro is the way to go…
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 18, 2006
Daniel,

Your system will thank you for not having 1400 simultaneously active fonts. With Font Agent Pro, you can assign specific fonts to specific projects, clients or preferred usage. But you can quickly activate and deactivate others as needed. You won’t bog down your computer processing tons of fonts; and you’ll have easy-to-manage font menus, will eliminate any font conflicts or corrupted fonts, and just work faster.

This holds true for your entire computer experience, not just Photoshop.

Neil
D
Dirk
Jul 18, 2006
I think you can use FontAgentPro or 30 days before you have to pay for it. I know that’s what I did.
B
Buko
Jul 18, 2006
the FAQ lists a free font manager its OK not as good as FAP but then its free.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 18, 2006
"1400 fonts on my computer because as a graphic design major in college"

Shame on the college for not cluing you in on font management.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 18, 2006
Design schools don’t really prepare you for the business world either. But then, one battle at a time…

Neil
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 18, 2006
If I were a college instructor I would allow 5 fonts to start, and focus on the client side and design/graphic communications.

I’m sure that most students today are glad that I’m not the instructor.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 18, 2006
Sorry to drag this off-topic, but, Ken, you’re right. One should fully learn and understand a very few fonts at a time, and learn their strengths and weaknesses, and how to pair them with other fonts. Having 1400 fonts in and of itself is as meaningless as owning 1400 pairs of shoes.

Neil
B
Buko
Jul 18, 2006
Neil I couldn’t have said it better myself.
D
Dirk
Jul 18, 2006
You need to get a handle on fonts in school because your clients won’t.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 18, 2006
Take one font, okay I will, let’s look at Cooper Black up on the display at the front of the classroom. Today we will look at character, only one character. The lower-case ‘g.’

Class ooo’s and ahhh’s as we first look at the character in reverse and in positive and in different rotations around an axis. Then the piece de resistance, we explode the character with a ‘convert to paths’ and a ‘ungroup’ and float the various element shapes beside each other, proving that the designer had motion, foresight, and contemplative genius at work just to design this one character.

To end the class we zoom back out and consider that this one character is a part of a set that all harmoniously works together to create a visual sensation that communicates feeling, dynamic and even unspoken sound to the reader’s mind.

I can’t prove all of that in words, but I can demonstrate it with presentation.

Class has 15 minutes remaining, fill out the answers to a five question test on today’s demonstration for your passing grade today.

time to go to 23rd avenue for a latte…
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 18, 2006
tomorrow… two characters.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 19, 2006
Boy oh boy! I just checked the syllabus. I can hardly wait for our discussion of Comic Sans.

Neil
B
Buko
Jul 19, 2006
Hey teacher I just got a CD with a bazillion fonts in my coco puffs!!!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 19, 2006
Neil, You will be glad to know that the daily classes on Comic Sans will run into two weeks study with a field trip to the caves in France where Comic Sans first originated.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 19, 2006
The Bazillion Fonts CD can only be read by the free Windows computer in Captain Crunch.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 19, 2006
Ken

the caves in France where Comic Sans first originated

Lascaux. <http://www.culture.gouv.fr:80/culture/arcnat/lascaux/en/> I was there — but almost all signs of Comic Sans were, alas, deteriorated beyond the point of recognition.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 19, 2006
Daniel,

Hope you realize that we’re just having some fun here. But truthfully, Font Agent Pro is the way to go so you can get a handle on your many fonts.

Neil
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 19, 2006
Daniel, thanks for the question and I mostly hope that you get and use FontAgentPro. Let us know.

Neil,

"I was there — but almost all signs of Comic Sans were, alas, deteriorated beyond the point of recognition."

: (
KJ
Kathryn_Jenkins
Jul 20, 2006
the daily classes on Comic Sans will run into two weeks study with a field trip to the caves in France where Comic Sans first originated

Current theory is that Comic Sans was the invention of the primitive Redmond People.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2006
"Current theory is that Comic Sans was the invention of the primitive Redmond People."

How do they explain the aroma of Roquefort Cheese sometimes accompanying the use of Comic Sans? A definite link to the caves in France. Great on salads too.
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2006
I always thought Robin Williams had something to do with Comic Sans.

and what ever happened to Comic Serifs
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2006
and what happened to Daniel?
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2006
Comic Serifs got laughed off stage.
D
Dirk
Jul 20, 2006
Daniel got overwhelmed with font issues and smashed his computer.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2006
Nice jobe Daniel.

I see he went straight for the Intel chip.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections