woopit
Sep 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
R U using the latest verson of Fusion? I think it’s 12.1.2

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
Move up to FontAgent Pro.

Get FAP because it will flush-out, and quarantine, any bad fonts that you have — as well as provide automatic font activation.

It’s not free but I think that it’s worth every penny.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
Font Reserive had an attribute/ownership function where one could assign ownership to a font. That way if I had 4 differrent Helveticas for four different clients when I opened a new file from one of those clients I would be querried which Helvetica I wanted to opened. I could make a smart choice by the ownership.

Once any file is saved (using Font Sense I think) FR would always opened that same font again.

Does FAP have similar functions?

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
Are your "Helveticas" named differently because you will almost certainly have conflicts unless they are?

If they are, just put them in different "Sets" in FAP and activate just the one that you want to use.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
That was the great thing about Font Reserve. They could all have the same name, no problem.

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 6, 2006
But there were OTHER problems with FR weren’t there? Perhaps that was why?

😉
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 7, 2006
alan ruta – 3:30pm Sep 1, 06 PST (#2 of 8) If the font works in Quark and/or Indesign then it should work in Photoshop

Stop smoking crack!
B
Buko
Sep 7, 2006
Stop smoking crack!
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 7, 2006
There were problems because Extensis purchased FR a few years ago and dropped support, unfortunately.

As far as I’m concerned Extensis pulled a Microsoft on this one. Gobbled up the better, more innovative product and quashed it. They came out with a product called Fusion which is nothing more than Suitcase next rev.

alan
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 7, 2006
Smoking crack, wha, whose there, who said that.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 7, 2006
alan ruta – 3:30pm Sep 1, 06 PST (#2 of If the font works in Quark and/or Indesign then it should work in Photoshop.

"stop smoking crack!". I view these forums for knowledge and fun. Could we show a bit of wit to add to that instead of simple name calling and simpleminded accusations. That would be much more fun.

Any time I’ve had a font that works in Quark and InDesign it has worked also in Photoshop. I’m curious to know what situations this is not so. Are there font formats "type 3?" once loaded into the font/system cache that Photoshop doesn’t recognize.

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 7, 2006
Are there font formats "type 3?" once loaded into the font/system cache that Photoshop doesn’t recognize.

Nothing recognizes Type 3 fonts anymore.

Either "convert" them in Fontographer (if the EULA permits that) or axe them once and for all.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks. I wasn’t using a Type 3 font, I as just wondering why I was on Crack>

"alan ruta – 3:30pm Sep 1, 06 PST (#2 of If the font works in Quark and/or Indesign then it should work in Photoshop

Stop smoking crack!"

I was wondering what fonts worked in Quark and InDesign but not on Photoshop.

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 7, 2006
Photoshop has no way of reaching more than the first 256 characters in a font directly (because it does not yet have a Glyphs palette) and OTF fonts can contain thousands of characters.

InDesign can access those characters (via its Glyphs palette) but QXP (up to v.6) cannot.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 7, 2006
yeah, good but that is something unrelated to the original question which is why I made the remark about fonts working in quark and ID working in photoshop. The poster was not having a glyph problem, or a problem with additional characters as I understood it.

alan
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 7, 2006
I forgot I had a work associate that is friends with the guy that had started up Diamondsoft (FR). His suggestion is FAP so I’ve just trashed everything else and will give it a go.

Majority rules.

alan
PB
Paul_B._Cutler
Sep 7, 2006
I converted to FontExplorerX months ago in a production environment and have never been happier after using Suitcase for years and trying the FAP demo.

No problems at all. It even usually works auto-activating fonts in PS.

And the price is right – it’s free.

<http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX>

I don’t think you’ll be sorry…

peace
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 7, 2006
I was very happy wiht FEXX until I had a problem with a Galliar small cap font. Of course the problem only happened in a quark file–but I had no choice.

I just booted up FR and it worked fine, but seeing as FR has met the end of the line I need to think ahead. I just can’t get excited about Suticase so I’m going to try FAP and FeXX and try and make the right decision.

I’m curious if anyone know whether FAP, S-Fusion or FeXX use Font Sense?

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 8, 2006
I believe that FAP identifies fonts by their unique Internal name and not their apparent (and "public" name.

For instance, I have 24 different versions ("Font Families") of Garamond and FAP distinguishes between them; and can activate them all at the same time (if I wanted it to!); without causing a conflict.
B
Buko
Sep 8, 2006
I used FEX on one machine right up to the latest build. I much prefer FAP. FEX kept telling me that fonts were missing in Photoshop. Fonts that were activated. This became annoying so I switched back to FAP.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections