CS
Posted By
christina_shoemaker
Aug 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
One of my students has a question: he loaded a version of Photoshop 7 on his MAC, and now the magnetic lasso tool is only available if he sends the image to ImageReady. He has to send the image back and forth from imageready to photoshop. Also the Layer –> matting –> defringe command is gone as well. Anybody had this problem before? Heard of this at all?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
Have him trash the Photoshop preference files and make sure he has updated to Photoshop 7.0.1.
Aug 13, 2004
Tell your student he needs to have a look at the manual and/or the help files and/or the PDF manual and/or the Quick Reference card or PDF. And explore the application a little more enthusiastically. I suspect that the student isn’t clear on fly-out tools.

Ohh, wait. This is YOUR student. Are YOU clear about them?

BTW…there is no Magnetic Lasso in ImageReady 7.0.

And you have students?
CS
christina_shoemaker
Aug 13, 2004
I do not use MACs, so my knowledge on them is limited. My student is fully aware of the fly-outs and said that when he used them only the Lasso Tool and Polygonal Lasso Tools were available. So, thanks for the information, those of you who were kind enough to answer back. As for the person with the rude comment, if I had wanted someone to answer rudely and sarcastically I would have used another forum where I would have expected such childish comments and behavior, not an adobe.com forum where I expected help from a mature photoshop user. So thanks for making my first experience with the forums such a disturbing and educational one.
Aug 13, 2004
Ex-CUUUSe Me, Ms. Shoemaker, but it seems to me that if you’re teaching students about Photoshop, it’s not too assumptive for me to wonder why you don’t already know that there is virtually NO functional difference between platforms within Photoshop. It’s your freakin’ DUTY to know these things, for crapsakes. How much Photoshop time do you have under your belt?

Your original post stated only that you were a teacher (of what, specifically? you didn’t say…). Seems to me, also, that if you’re a teacher, one of your primary functions is to be imformation resource-savvy and as such that you should know about, and be familiar and comfortable with—accessing the online (or, on-Disk) Help Files. Or that you might have a real printed manual or two handy. That would’ve very quickly told you that there is no Magnetic Lasso available in ImageReady.

How are qualified to teach Photoshop to students eager to learn and trusting of your ability to teach them if you don’t know these very basic things? If I were your student, and came to understand how little you really know, I’d be complaining to anyone who would listen.

Sorry if you take these as rude, but I’m damned sick of people who call themselves qualified (and YOU doing it, as a TEACHER, no less!), and then proceed to trip over their own tails as they demonstrate that they are anything but.

If you can’t run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

We’re generally pleasant, helpful folks here, but there aren’t many of us who suffer fools gladly. You just got the luck of the draw with my reply..and it was fairly mild. Believve me, you could’ve gotten a much meaner one.
G
graffiti
Aug 13, 2004
Sorry. I must have missed something. Where did she mention that she teaches PhotoShop?
CS
christina_shoemaker
Aug 13, 2004
Just to let you know, Mr. (I am going to speculate your arent a woman, I have met few who are so rude to someone they hardly know, although I am sure there are exceptions)Phospor; as GRAFITI pointed out, I never said that I was a Photoshop teacher. It is your mistake to assume anything else. I am a high school teacher mearly seeking an answer for a student who didnt know where else to ask. If I had wanted your opinion about anything, and not just a straight forward answer to my question, followed by a "have a nice day" I could have easily asked the stuffed shirt pompass "Photoshop" teacher at my local University, but since I was trying to avoid such an arragont attitude, I decided to try using the forum so that I could get some assistance, and then finish my day pleasantly. And isnt part of being a "teacher" learning knew and different things along the way? I might have finished college with several degrees under my belt, but I am still learning something new everyday. Apparantly you, "the all knowing", have nothing more to learn. And for that, as well as a few other things, I feel sorry for you.
J
jonf
Aug 13, 2004
I apologize for Phosphor. He seems not to have had his morning cup of coffee, today. 😉 His responses are usually very helpful. The Adobe forums do get a bit heated at times, but there are worse places to go. Sorry for your unpleasant introduction.
CB
charles_badland
Aug 13, 2004
As far as answering her question: Since Photoshop does have the Magnetic Lasso and a Defringe function and Image Ready has neither… I think it’s pretty obvious the student just got the programs mixed up.
cb
G
graffiti
Aug 13, 2004
mearly seeking an answer for a student who didnt know where else to ask.

That was my first assumption. Sorry about the rough greeting Christina. Mostly this is a good, educational forum to come to.
Aug 13, 2004
I surely hope you’re not an English teacher; your spelling is horrendous. Don’t let that discourage you though, I hammer everybody about that…

Tell you what…send your student to this forum. We’ll get him straightened out, with first-hand knowledge he can trust. Perhaps this might be a good time to explore with your students how to differentiate between reliable and unreliable sources of information, and how to find the good stuff of their own volition. And though I rarely, if ever, reference biblical allegories, the lessons held within "Give a man a fish…teach a man to fish" comes to mind right about now.

It sounds like you know a bit about Photoshop; otherwise, you wouldn’t have spat out the techno-speak as well as you have. This being the case, I STILL fail to understand why you weren’t able to guide your student toward a printed-manual or PDF answer. A wee bit of exploration—in the help files AND in the application’s GUIs—would’ve answered the ImageReady/Magnetic Lasso question quickly, with the added benefit of discovering how to explore freely. As a teacher I surely hope you understand the value of imparting to your students the tradition of building a sense of self-sufficient knowledge gathering. They’re going to need it everywhere they go in life. Students must learn to think on their own. If this student has a copy of Photoshop, certainly he is old enough to crack open the help files. Teach them that, you can devote quality time to the answers that are beyond their easily-accessible grasp.

While I have your rapt attention, I suggest you hit the following website, carefully consider what is presented there, and create some lesson plans surrounding the core concepts outlined:
How To Ask Questions the Smart Way <http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>. I’ll bet you’ll find it beneficial, both for yourself and for your students.

============================================================ =====

BTW…JonF…if you don’t mind, I’ll take care of my own social niceties, or tsunamis, as the case may be. Thank You.
Aug 13, 2004
Oh, And thanks for the jumpstart, Ms. Shoemaker.

I haven’t gotten off a good grinding in awhile, and I was beginning to think I’d lost my touch.

🙂
CS
christina_shoemaker
Aug 13, 2004
I do not think I will be sending him here to ask any questions, I would hate for him to ask them the wrong way and be attacked. I will refer him to the library and the help options available online, or will use the other forums I have come accross in my own exploration of the program.
As for the "spelling" errors, they were more of typing errors. Although I KNEW you would notice them.
Thank you to everyone who gave their help, he has a couple different options to explore and for that, I know, he is happy.
As for me, I am finished, you will not be seeing me again. Thank You.
Aug 13, 2004
"As for the "spelling" errors, they were more of typing errors."

Funny, that’s what everybody says when I point them out.

You’re excused. Sorry for your thin skin.
J
jonf
Aug 13, 2004
btw phosphor, your "Biblical" allusion about the fish is actually an allusion to a saying traditionally attributed to Confucius, and isn’t anywhere in the Bible. Since we’re apparently being such sticklers for precision today.
Aug 13, 2004
See!

That’s why I don’t refer to Bible crap that often!
DP
Donkey_Punch
Aug 13, 2004
And isnt part of being a "teacher" learning knew and different things along the way?

Hee-hee. I just love this line.

No k-news is good k-news with Kary K-news.
BG
barry_gray
Aug 13, 2004
Why in the are you guys apologizing for The Phos? He’s a self aggrandizing, arrogant piss pot.

Christina,
Please do send your student here. There are many well qualified experts here that will actually help, trust me.
Just warn him/her to take "some" replies with a grain of salt and come back fighting.
BG
barry_gray
Aug 13, 2004
Also,
Be warned about the self appointed forum "nannies." Way too much free time on their hands.
O
OAmaro
Aug 13, 2004
Uh..time out folks…

I came in here after searching under "preferences" thinking I was going to find where the Prefs are located for Photoshop. It’s not in the usual System Folder>Prefs (OS 9.2) and I need to trash them.

Not that yer’ askin’ but, from someone who has rarely poked around the PS forums and does not know the personalities and players in here, I thought Phospor jumped down the lady’s throat and was unwarranted. She was merely asking a simple question that could’ve been responded to with a polite answer. Phospor made assumptions and judgments that were uncalled for.

Go ahead now…flame away.
O
OAmaro
Aug 13, 2004
Never mind. Looks like the entire Settings folder are the Prefs.
Aug 14, 2004
Barry…

This self-aggrandizing, arrogant pisspot says "I Kiss You!" <http://www.ikissyou.org>

Smooch my royal backside, sweetie pie.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Aug 14, 2004
Christina: I wouldn’t worry about your student being offended. The boards these kids chat on are far more rude and offensive than anything you’ll find here. Most folks will be glad to help you and others. If you have any questions you would like answered privately, click through my name for my email. Note: forum etiquette is that you shouldn’t email anyone w/o an invite.

Phosphor is pretty sharp usually. Dropped the ball here. My wife is a teacher. People have no clue how hard good teachers work. And the digital age only accelerates the information one needs to learn. I can barely keep up with all the sw I need to know so I can train my 3 employees. Teachers need to help 20+ kids. In each class. So…enjoy your weekend and be sure to come back soon.
G
graffiti
Aug 14, 2004
Why in the are you guys apologizing for The Phos?

Sombody has to.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 14, 2004
I like to take foto-camera (amimals , towns , nice nude models
GB
g_ballard
Aug 14, 2004
I think we lost christina…
R
Ram
Aug 14, 2004
G B,

Post #24 ? ? ?
GB
g_ballard
Aug 14, 2004
that was from Phos’ link.

Are we talking farm animals here or domestic?
R
Ram
Aug 14, 2004
Oh, good old Mahir. 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections