SB
Posted By
Steve_Buerer
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to access my photos from within Elements on my Mac G4. My computer accesses the camera directly and opens iPhoto, but I’d rather go directly to Photoshop Elements. Canon has no twain drivers for OS 10.x.

Any ideas.

Steve Buerer

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SS
Susan_S.
Jun 29, 2004
I have the G3 and work in 10.3.4. As far as I know you can’t – but I’m not sure why you would want to as it means opening directly from the CF card rather than copying onto your hard drive first which I would imagine has a greater risk of stuffing up the images on the card. Personally I use a CF card reader – I have my OSX preferences set up so that when I attach either a card reader or a camera, image capture rather than iphoto opens up, then I simply download the images into a folder on my hard drive and then use the file browser in Elements or photoshop to open them. (and I back them all up onto CD before I delete them from the CF card, so there is no risk of accidentlally deleting or overwriting the originals)
Susan S
SB
Steve_Buerer
Jun 29, 2004
Susan S.

Thanks for you reply. Your proceedure sounds great.

Thanks again.

Steve Buerer
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 29, 2004
It is advisable to move your camera images to your computer via a compact flash card reader. You can either store them in iPhoto or elsewhere on your hardrive and work on them in Photoshop Elements.

Even if you can do it, working in Elements directly from your camera would place alot of unnecessary stress on the electronics of your camera.

Edit: A little late I see you’re already persuaded.
SB
Steve_Buerer
Jun 29, 2004
Mark, Thanks for you response.

Someone else suggested downloading images to a HD folder and then opening the items in Elements. I do think I’ll go that way.

Why do you suggest a reader.

I have a drafting table full of "stuff" and am trying to conserve space but maybe that’s the way to go.

Thanks again.

Steve
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 29, 2004
Why do you suggest a reader.

I got this advice on the forums, including this one. I asked at a camera repair store if they agreed with this advice and he said ‘yep’. You can get one for about $20 US. And they don’t really take up much room. I leave mine connected all the time.

BTW, make sure you eject (triangle to the right) that little harddisc icon (you’ll see it in the Finder) before you pull out your compact flash card out of the reader or you could have trouble. (Courtesy of Susan S.)
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 29, 2004
(who learnt the hard way that it isn’t a good idea to do otherwise, although Fuji Australia did replace the dead CF card!). Why a card reader – you can get problems transferring directly from the camera apparently, particularly if you don’t notice that the camera is low on battery power. I’d rather have problems with a 100$Aus CF card than a $1000Aus camera.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections