2 files using the same colors – why are the prints of different shades?

ME
Posted By
marie_eve_demers
Aug 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi! I hope someone can help me with this. I have created two files (same dpi). Both files share the exact same colors. I have used very basic techniques in these documents, inclusing gradient and pattern filling.

When i print them (same printing settings on the same paper) the green comes out very different.

What could cause this?

I use Photoshop 7 on a Mac with OSX.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Have you updated to 7.0.1? Are you on OS 10.3.5? Have you calibrated your monitor? What are your color settings? What printer? What inks? Have you cleaned the nozzle?

If you can give some info, someone may come up with an answer.
R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Marie,

Study the information on the following link VERY carefully:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
ME
marie_eve_demers
Aug 11, 2004
Hello Ramon,

-I haven’t updated to 7.0.1
-I have OS X.2.8
-The monitor was formerly used by a graphic designer – I assume it is but haven’t done it myself – I am a clothing designer and use Photoshop to help with my business.
-My printer is a HP Deskjet 5550
-Inks are the manufacturer’s – color cartridge and black cartridge, not the photo cartridge. -The nozzle is clean.

But basically, I am not complaining about the difference in colors between what I have on the screen and what is on paper. Rather, I can’t understand why the color R204 G204 B102 would print differently when I print file A that uses that exact color and file B that also uses that color.

I am prepared to calibrate my monitor and all but I just don’t think that the problem originates from there.

I have printed each file many times over, one after the other, and one constantly comes out a different shade of green.

I appreciate your help.
ME
marie_eve_demers
Aug 11, 2004
Something just occured to me. I had originally created one of the documents with a previous version of Photoshop (which?). Could it be that the color conversion hasn’t been done (I believe that the first time you open a document that has been created by a former version of Photoshop, the programs asks if you want to color manage).

If that’s the problem, how can I fix it? I have tried copying the artwork into a new file, but it didn’t work…
RW
Rene_Walling
Aug 11, 2004
Check two things:

1) are the color values (the RGb or CMYK numbers) the same?

2) are the profiles used by the two images the same?
ME
marie_eve_demers
Aug 11, 2004
how do I check to see if the profiles used by the two images are the same?

Thank you!
P
progress
Aug 11, 2004
turn on profile mismatch warnings and open them up…record what it says and compare.

if you are unaware of profiles then and you created one in another version of PS, i would say thats a good indication of where the problem may lay.
R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Marie,

Update to 7.0.1 before doing anything else.

You need to calibrate the monitor ASAP. And do it often, too.

Monitors change over time, and monitor profile files can and do get corrupted. I calibrate my monitors at least several times a week.

You need an accurate monitor profile, a correct working space, a properly tagged image file and the ICC profile for your specific ink/paper/printer combination.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections