D
Posted By
debjt
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to downsize images from large tiffs to small SQUARE thumbnails for a website. The original images are not square so simply resizing with constraints set does not work. Is there any trick to downsize to square without having to crop the image over and over to get it exactly square before making the thumbnail? Thanks for any help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 16, 2004
You can set the dimensions of the Crop tool to an exact size. Click on the tool, and then in the Option Bar, choose Fixed Size and type in the dimensions you want. The tool will constrain itself to the exact size/shape you set, for example 2" X 2". Make sure you check to see what resolution is set at in the Option Bar, too. If it’s not what you want, change it.

The same thing can also be done with the Rectangular Marquee tool, but there are no changes made to resolution. Click on the tool, choose Fixed Size, and set the dimension.
D
debjt
Jan 16, 2004
Beth, thank you so much. I have 300 images to do and you have saved me soo much time.
DU
Dan_U_Herman
Jan 17, 2004
My rectangle JPG pictures that are longer up and down do not work with movie star. The pictures that are longer from left to right are fine. The people look scrunched on the other ones.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 17, 2004
When you get "scrunched" faces, its a sign that you didn’t have the "constrain proportions" checkbox checked.

🙂

Brent
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 17, 2004
Or you’re using a non standard monitor rez.

Mac
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 17, 2004
Oh I remember that, Mac. Did it to myself once.

🙂

Brent
DU
Dan_U_Herman
Jan 17, 2004
MovieStar will make the picture "full-screen" in the video window. If the full 352×240 aspect ratio is not met MovieStar will strech the picture until it covers the whole screen. This is the opposite if the image appears squashed. The image is to large therefore MovieStar will compact it to fit. The image will have to be cropped so that the aspect ratio is 352×240(NTSC) or the image can be imported into a photo editing application giving the picture borders with the correct aspect ratio. The same goes for images that appear squashed. My problem is squashed how do I fix this using Adobe Photoshop Elements. I am not very good at it so I will need a few step by step answers if you can.
DU
Dan_U_Herman
Jan 17, 2004
What does NTSC mean in the ratio below.

The image is to large therefore MovieStar will compact it to fit. The image will have to be cropped so that the aspect ratio is 352×240(NTSC) or the image can be imported into a photo editing application giving the picture borders with the correct aspect ratio. The same goes for images that appear squashed. My problem is squashed how do I fix this using Adobe Photoshop Elements.
DU
Dan_U_Herman
Jan 18, 2004
My problem is squashed how do I fix this using Adobe Photoshop Elements. I am not very good at it so I will need a few step by step answers if you can. See below from MovieStar online help.

MovieStar will make the picture "full-screen" in the video window. If the full 352×240 aspect ratio is not met MovieStar will strech the picture until it covers the whole screen. This is the opposite if the image appears squashed. The image is to large therefore MovieStar will compact it to fit. The image will have to be cropped so that the aspect ratio is 352×240(NTSC) or the image can be imported into a photo editing application giving the picture borders with the correct aspect ratio. The same goes for images that appear squashed.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 18, 2004
352×240 aspect ratio

If you really need 352 x 240 pixels, just downsample to 352 pixels wide, then use marquee tool to crop 352×240 pixels.

If you need whole image, downsample image smaller than 352 pixels wide, then add black or white border to make it exactly 352×240 total image size with slightly smaller (but uncropped) original image within that.

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections