Posted By
roula_sorour
Dec 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HI there,

I have consulted several references web books , and I am still not sure how to reduce an image size of 21M down to 1.2M while keeping the resolution at it’s maximum. My understanding is I should never activate resample as it messes up with the quality of the picture.

In the image size window ,I have the following info:
Document Size:

Width 42.2 inches
Height:34 inches
resolution:72

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Dec 29, 2008
If you want to resize something from 21MB to 1.2MB , you WILL be reducing the quality, no matter what.

You will have to resample. Use Save for Web.

Think in terms of pixel sizes.
RS
roula_sorour
Dec 29, 2008
Tks very much Ed for your quick reply. I am not sure if it is meant to be for web only as I am sending it to a photo competition so print is important too . Tks anyway I did resample.

Any idea what i should do in case it is for both web and print??

Best regards
GB
g_ballard
Dec 29, 2008
I found this book invaluable on the subject

Real World Scanning Halftones (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
by David Blatner (Author), Glenn Fleishman (Author), Stephen F. Roth (Author) amazon.com

once you get the gist of image web/print resolution, the answer becomes a matter common sense, trial and observation (how much can I throw away and still maintain desired quality)…
RS
roula_sorour
Dec 29, 2008
many tks for your reply g ,will have a look at book.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 29, 2008
WEB is generally set by PIXELS at 72ppi resolution (and saving as .jpg)

to get a feel, drag some web images off a good site and look at Ps> Image> Image Size: Pixel Dimensions (Document Size is really unimportant here)

PRINT is generally set by INCHES at 300ppi (or 360ppi) and saving as .tif

for example, if your print or layout calls for 10 inches wide, you would set Resolution to 300 pixels/inch, and Document size to 10 inches wide

unless you are looking for rocket science, I will recommend leaving Image Size at Default: Check Scale Styles, Constrain Proportions, Resample Image, Bicubic
P
PShock
Dec 29, 2008
WEB is generally set by PIXELS at 72ppi resolution

Let’s not perpetuate the "web images need to be 72ppi" myth. 😉

Resolution is completely irrelevant. The ONLY thing that matters with web images are PIXEL DIMENSIONS.

-phil
RS
roula_sorour
Dec 30, 2008
Tks a lot guys ! you were of great help:)
Now I can go to sleep without worrying how I’ll have to submit my photos. That forum is great!
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 30, 2008
Most monitors today resolve finer than the old 72ppi standard. Stating 72ppi is at best an oversize approximation of how a typical monitor at its default settings will size a 100% size document, if you were to take a ruler to it. That is, a 720 pixel wide document will display smaller than 10" wide.

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Dec 30, 2008
My rule of thumb for web as-viewed approx. sizing used to be 72 ppi but now I use 100 ppi. Of course each display will vary, but that gives a general frame of reference: e.g. hmmm, I want approx. 3 inch square viewed, so make the web image 300 pixels by 300 pixels.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 30, 2008
"web images need to be 72ppi"

web images need to be based on something, what number PPI do you recommend

I understand "Resolution is completely irrelevant. The ONLY thing that matters with web images are PIXEL DIMENSIONS"

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections