Resizing images quickly – action? or batch?

TJ
Posted By
Theresa_J.
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello!
I would like to resize a lot of images I have to use them in a slideshow. What is the best way to do this? Can I perform an action, or is there a way to batch resize a group of photos?

Thanks so much for any help!
Trese

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
chrisjbirchall
May 4, 2005
Can I perform an action, or is there a way to batch resize

Yes and erm – Yes!

First record an action to resize one image, including the save command, jpeg quality etc. Be sure to save the result to a different folder – you don’t want to be overwriting the originals!!

Now all you have to do is run a batch command on all your selected files, using that action and specifying the folder to which the resulting jpegs are to be saved.

Best of luck with it.

Chris.
WN
Wesley_Norman
May 4, 2005
If you have CS2, use the new Image Processor. It is under Tools>Photoshop. If you have CS, you can download Russell Brown’s Image Processor and use it. It is the same one. I find these invaluable.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 4, 2005
It’s a bit funny to me that this question arose today, as a co-worker was just telling me a short while ago about how this is one of his annoyances with Photoshop….that batching requires an action. He wondered why Adobe doesn’t just provide an option for batching some specific command such as a resize, the way that can be done with ACDSee. Not being an ACDSee user, I’ve never seen how it works, but Thumbs Plus similarly allows one to define a batch that performs a resize and then saves the file. It feels faster using Thumbs Plus to do such a batch than doing it with PS, yet with the wealth of what can be performed with actions, PS is ulitmately more powerful. I use whichever app gets me from point A to B in the most convenient manner. The only thing I’d like to see done in PS is for all processing to be done in the background without actually opening and closing an image, as that surely must slow the process down. Similarly, if using a droplet, I’d like to see PS be launched as a background process.

Daryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections