J
Posted By
JeffN
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Upgraded to CS from 5.5 and Love it, but it’s different and change isn’t always fun. I have many questions but I wasn’t post them all here in one post.

In 5.5: when using a brush tool or rubber stamp, you could click in one spot and then move the brush and shift-click and the tool would paint/clone etc. in a straight line between the two clicks. A very handy feature indeed. But I’m not able to get the same function in CS. I’ve tried the other modifier keys, and have several books by Wilmore, Evening, Fraser,Kelly, but haven’t come across a solution. Did this get dropped in CS or can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks
Jeff

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 4, 2004
Shift-click to get a line still works for me in CS. Not sure whu it’s not working for you.

Shift-Control-click will get you that Blend menu. Are you sure it wasn’t Control-click in 5.5? Option has always been for sampling color as far as I remember.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
<< you could click in one spot and then move the brush and shift-click and the tool would paint/clone etc. in a straight line >>

You need to make sure that "Spacing" is checked in the Brushes Palette/Brush Tip Shape panel.

The Blend modes are pretty easy to remember: They are all Option Shift and a letter such as N (Normal), M (Multiply, G (liGhten), K (DarKen) etc.

A really useful one is Option Shift P (to toggle the Airbrush on and off.)
J
JeffN
Aug 4, 2004
Ed
Yes, my error, it was control-click in 5.5, or right-click (I use a 3 button thumb wheel mouse). In CS it’s now shift-control-click, as you said, and / or shift-Rt click with the mouse.

Ann
Thanks a bunch, "Spacing" is checked and the shift-click to paint/clone etc. in a line between clicks works just as it should. Try Shift-control click (or Shift-Rt click) is faster/easier than using two hands or practising being a circus contortionist trying to hit Option-Shift-K, don’t even kneed to take your eyes off the screen.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
Because I use a Stylus (which doesn’t have to be put down when you want to use the keyboard!), I actually find Option Shift R (or any other character) quicker and easier than the contextual menus.

But, whatever floats your boat….

:~)
J
JeffN
Aug 4, 2004
I also use a Stylus, but because my left hand is always at the keyboard, it faster to hit Shift-control and touch the Stylus to the tablet and slide down to the blend mode, vs. reaching my right hand with the Stylus up to the keyboard and looking away from the monitor to hit the R (or any other character)

But, like you said…whatever floats your boat….

:•)
AV
Ari_Valen_Levinson
Aug 6, 2004
Ann, what exactly is the difference between using the paintbrush with and without the airbrush option?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
The Airbrush will go on building color while your Stylus or your Mouse button is pressed down—up to the maximum Opacity which you have set—and it it will do this at a rate which corresponds to the Flow rate which you have set.

Try it with different settings for Flow (particularly with a low flow rate and 100% Opacity) and you will see.

The ordinary brush just lays down the color immediately in the way that you have set your settings.

Obviously, any Brush palette Dynamics settings will come into play too.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 7, 2004
Airbrush on: keep painting even if the cursor isn’t moving.

Airbrush off: paint only when the cursor moves.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections