Twist filter not working for large files?

JK
Posted By
John_Kinsella
Jul 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey everybody…I’ve done the prereq search and haven’t found this anywhere, so apologies if something’s overlooked.

I have a user running Photoshop CS under MacOS 10.3…she’s been working on a (relatively) small image (probably 500×500, 100dpi), applying filters no problem. So now she’s trying to scale that up to a backlit poster, obviously a larger file, higher res (300dpi, I forget resolution, probably 3000×3000). With the larger file (approximately 350MB), her Twist filter is greyed out. This is not an 8bpp issue, we’ve also tried seeing if difference between 100dpi vs 300dpi(answer: no). I’ve gone through preferences and told Photoshop to use 100% of memory, box is a dual G4 with 1GB of RAM. Anybody have any thoughts on how to get around this? Been stumping us for 2 days now…

John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jul 26, 2004
I’ve gone through preferences and told Photoshop to use 100% of memory, box is a dual G4 with 1GB of RAM.

Bad idea. With only 1GB of RAM you should be at around 65%.

Maybe that has nothing to do with the filter problem you are experiencing, but you should fix that anyway.

Have you applied all the update plug-ins available for Photoshop 8? How much available hard drive space is left?
JK
John_Kinsella
Jul 26, 2004
OK slight correction – 1.5GB RAM. Still not a ton, but it doesn’t feel underpowered at the moment. Disk space – 50+GB. Just verified, it’s not a CMYK/RGB thing, to add that tidbit out there.

I’ve applied all updates I’ve found under the Photoshop for Macs downloads page.

Only thing I haven’t tried right now that might be worth a shot that I know of is seeing if I can borrow memory from another Mac, presuming there’s available slots…

John
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 27, 2004
Yes, Twist and some of the other distort plugins have an image size limit.

If it’s grayed out, then there is some reason that it is grayed out.
JK
John_Kinsella
Jul 27, 2004
ooooooooooh. There’s a *reason* it’s grayed out! 😉

So, time to define clue level I guess. I’m an engineer/sysadmin trying to help out one of our graphic designers. I’ve taken my share of graduate level CG classes, I could probably write a twist filter if I wanted to, but PS exists, and I don’t like reinventing wheels. I’m not a lazy Internet weenie, I’ve done a fair bit of Googling before I resort to posting on here.

Now. There is a size limit, you say. OK…anybody know of a location where I can see definitions of what these limits are?

Knowing there is a limit helps, means it’s not a bug and we’ll resort to trying to do our magic in a separate program, I guess.

John
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 30, 2004
The limits vary per filter – most don’t work over 30,000 pixels.

There are a few that don’t work over about 8000 pixels on a side.

And I suspect you’re referring to twirl (since we don’t have a "twist"), and that filter has a limit of 11500 pixels on a side (due to some code that seriously needs a rewrite).
JK
John_Kinsella
Jul 30, 2004
My bad on the filter name. Thx for the details.

John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections