Posted By
steve kroeker
Jun 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I recently purchased a Nikon Coolscan 8000. It does a great job on 2 1/4 size film.
The files range from 420 meg to 600 meg.
I have a Pentium 3, 1 Ghz and 512 meg of ram, and 500 gig of disks. These larger files (old files were 100 meg, tiff) are significantly slower to work with.
I probably should upgrade to P4 and 2+gigahz and 2 gig ram. But what should my Photoshop setting be.
Thanks,
Steve

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
llutton
Jun 30, 2003
I can’t help you but wow, you must be needing some huge high resolution prints. Most printers do their best work between 240 and 300 dpi, which means at most, a 25 MB file. Of course, that is a 8 bit file. A 16 bit file would be 50 MB. Tell us, what do you plan to do with these files?
Lynn

I have a Pentium 3, 1 Ghz and 512 meg of ram, and 500 gig of disks. These larger files (old files were 100 meg, tiff) are significantly slower to work with.
I probably should upgrade to P4 and 2+gigahz and 2 gig ram. But what should my Photoshop setting be.
Thanks,
Steve
H
Hecate
Jul 1, 2003
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:05:07 GMT, "steve kroeker" wrote:

Hello,
I recently purchased a Nikon Coolscan 8000. It does a great job on 2 1/4 size film.

Gulp! So you’re working in something less than PS4? I suggest you’d better upgrade to PS7 😉

And yes, you need a *lot* more RAM and a faster processor and a couple of fast hard disks and a decent video card.

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
WS
Warren Sarle
Jul 1, 2003
"steve kroeker" wrote in message
Hello,
I recently purchased a Nikon Coolscan 8000. It does a great job on 2 1/4
size film.
I have a Pentium 3, 1 Ghz and 512 meg of ram, and 500 gig of disks. These larger files (old files were 100 meg, tiff) are significantly slower
to work with.
I probably should upgrade to P4 and 2+gigahz and 2 gig ram. But what
should
my Photoshop setting be.

You want to give Photoshop all the memory it can use, which seems to be 2G. To allow the OS and maybe the scanner to run at the same time, you need about
3G of memory total. And get the fastest RAM you can afford.

Only 500G of disk space? You’re going to use that up real fast! 🙂 Don’t forget to keep at least two backups of everything important, preferably three.

You might want one small but extremely fast hard drive for Photoshop scratch use.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections