Posted By
Kurt_Pernstich
Oct 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have a b/w picture which I would like to raster like in a newspaper. I would like to have those little dots with different diameters and distances between them, so the picture appears in different shades of gray, even I have only completely black and completely white color available.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Kurt

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 18, 2005
raster like in a newspaper

The term is Halftone.

It depends whether you want a true halftone or just the effect. There is a halftone filter in Photoshop’s filter gallery which gives you the effect. Although it is not a true halftone in as much as the "dots" are a uniform size and the image is made up of several shades of grey.

Chris.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Oct 18, 2005
Or you can convert to bitmap mode and apply a halftone screen
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 18, 2005
Nice one Cybe. I was thinking you’d have to go outside of Photoshop for a "proper" halftone.

There is always something "new" lurking in the dark corners of Photoshop. <g>
GS
Gustavo Sanchez
Oct 18, 2005
Something that works wonders for a colour picture:

– Convert into CMYK.
– Split channels.
– Convert each channel into Bitmap 300 ppi for 100% final real size. Apply a round halftone dot with a low linescreen with these angles: c15, M75, Y0, K45.
– Reconvert into grayscale (1:1).
– Rejoin the channels in a CMYK picture.

Ale hop! The advantage is that you can control the settings more than in any other way.

If you want really high definition for the dots, make the bitmap 800 ppi and assemble the thing inside a layout software like InDesign and then colorize the compound there using Multiply mode. But it might me a waste of time.

However, if what you want is a Roy Lichtenstein-like drawing, this method won’t do.

Hope it helps 🙂
JO
Jim_Oblak
Oct 18, 2005
Antother way to do the same thing…

I have the habit of using the color halftone filter and setting all 4 screen angles to the same angle. Where the color mode change to bitmap allows different line frequencies and shapes, I sometimes like to think in terms of pixels and the pixelate>color halftone filter allows you to specify the maximum pixel size of each halftone dot.
GS
Gustavo Sanchez
Oct 18, 2005
Jim,

You are right, but there is a limit in that filter that can be reached rather easily if you want a coarse screening
D
deebs
Oct 18, 2005
laydeez an jenl’men

I am pleased to announce that both of these tips have made it into deebs list of honor

I will surely get around to using them within the next decade or 2 with thanks to the contributors
GS
Gustavo Sanchez
Oct 18, 2005
within the next decade or 2

well that’s quite a span of time for such a useful tip lol!
D
deebs
Oct 18, 2005
Here is a first application of the technique (it was a very swift decade or 2 🙂 )

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1VbyFZiGJihxa2tUJ6 u535f6jG96ub0>

I used the exact setting as, all Hail the Mighty One, posted

Just one question I used line thingy number 53 (that what it opened as) is that low enough or should it be any lower?

The technique is IMHO fantastic!
Z
ZR
Oct 18, 2005
Now perhaps someone could tell us how to acheive teh effect shown in The Wall Street Journal (mainly with people’s faces) – it looks like carved in wood… – very nice and very clear.

Any suggestions ?

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:24:58 -0700, deebs
wrote:

Here is a first application of the technique (it was a very swift decade or 2 🙂 )
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1VbyFZiGJihxa2tUJ6 u535f6jG96ub0>
I used the exact setting as, all Hail the Mighty One, posted
Just one question I used line thingy number 53 (that what it opened as) is that low enough or should it be any lower?

The technique is IMHO fantastic!
GS
Gustavo Sanchez
Oct 19, 2005
Deebs

It depends on how evident you want the dot. The lower the more evident. Elliptic and round dots will give you the best effect but you might like to play with other shapes (even PostScript dot definitions are allowed, AFAIK, but that would be overwanking).

For a really big and ultra defined round dot (the Roy Lichtenstein-like drawing I mentioned), I’d use a pattern and perhaps a vectorial tol like Illustrator… and that wouldn’t be easy work.
D
deebs
Oct 19, 2005
I think the more sophisticated approach may really have to wait a decade or 2

Would I be right in thinking:
– separate channels

– twiddle each

– recompose channels?
BO
Burton_Ogden
Oct 19, 2005
Kurt,

I have a b/w picture which I would like to raster like in a newspaper.

Back when we had only a laser printer to print our photos, I got third party plugins for Photoshop to convert grayscale images into a form that looked good on the laser printer, which was limited to just black toner. You might want to try the demo <http://www.andromeda.com/info/getdemoform.html> of the Andromeda screens <http://www.andromeda.com/info/series3.html> filter. Among other things, it allows you to create the halftone dot patterns you want.

There is also software, like ClearFax Pro <http://www.clearfax.com/products/cf_info_pro.htm> to help you send photos in fax machines.

— Burton — (not associated with any vendor mentioned)
GS
Gustavo Sanchez
Oct 19, 2005
Deebs,

Yes.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 19, 2005
Do a search in google on "comic photoshop tutorial" and you’ll get more than you can read…
D
deebs
Oct 19, 2005
Thanks Y

Firefox feature of selecting the phrase in your message, right click > search on phrase returned about 738,000 hits 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 19, 2005
🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections