N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Dec 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
why are there so many OT posts these days? if i want to read about the Canon 300D, which i own, i go to a Canon forum. if i need lens/tripod/cooking/love life advice i go to the appropriate forum. foolish me thinking this was ONLY for PSE 2.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 29, 2003
Yeh, silly you. 🙂 But you’re right about the increase in OT posts. On the other hand, if they’re somewhat related to digital imaging, this is a good place to give people a heads up. I simply don’t invest the time in surfing from site to site each day to see if anything new popped up while I was asleep. There have been several times when I appreciated having something pointed out to me here so I could then do more sleuthing – once I knew there was something to sleuth. Plus, I often just ignore OT posts once I’ve read the title and see it isn’t of interest to me. As long as OT doesn’t get too out of control, I think some valuable things have surfaced this way.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 29, 2003
It tends to happen in forums when there are a large number of regulars who start to form a community – they begin to want to talk about everything else as well – at least most of the topics here do tend to be loosely linked to Elments/digital imaging /photography

Sorry..(I promise I will try to be good and stay on topic – it can be hard for newcomers who want to ask a question about Elements to find all this noise!)
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
I usually try to figure out a way to link it back to Elements, but sometimes the links are tenuous or ephemeral….or something like that… 🙂
N
nytrashman7618
Dec 29, 2003
and i am still not sure how to plant rose bushes in the winter………….LOL
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
well…if you live in the far north (such as the place I’m visiting this week) you’ll need a snow shovel and a pickax for starters….
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 29, 2003

O.T. >>>> I’m livin’ it….want to share it sometimes..;)
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 29, 2003
George,

You know, you don’t have to look at the OT topics if they bother you. I will agree that there have been more OT topics as of late but that’s not a bad thing. It seems to me that it’s just an outgrowth of the community that this forum has become, which to me is a good thing. It’s not just a place to post the occasional technical PSE question, IMO, but a gathering of people with a common interest in photography in general as well as PSE. In my mind, the two go together.

I posted an OT topic asking about a tripod recommendation because there are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable folks here who are happy to help me. I consider many of these people friends and who better than to ask advice than someone I know and trust (like a friend). I also posted here because most of the people who frequent this forum will give friendly, accurate and knowledgeable advice as opposed to rude, smart@$$, and unhelpful advice which is what you often get at most (not all) forums. Check out the PhotoShop forum for examples.

I’m sorry you don’t like the OT topics. I find most of them extremely interesting and I enjoy the wit and humor of those who participate.

Like I said, you don’t have to look at the OT topics. It’s your choice. 🙂

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
I know I sometimes lose sight of the fact that we are very fortunate that Adobe has not only provided this forum, but has let us run it in a fairly loose (okay…chaotic) fashion without much intervention. THANK YOU ADOBE! So long as we quickly and constructively answer the Elements questions – and I think we do that well for the most part – maybe we’ll be allowed to keep this community going without too many rules and regulations.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 29, 2003
Hey, that is why I love this forum! Remember I am a beginner(8 months into PSE) and when I discovered this forum, it made my frustrations with the program end. I learned countless things here.
If you don’t want or need the OT things, then look at the title and just don’t click on them. And finally, the OT things are what add spice to us here, where in the world would we find a tutorial to make a snowflake or a gradient. Or find help when we got stuck.

And there are people like me, who might have a problem with the computer itself, or something that keeps us from accomplishing our fun with PSE, and just one post here always solves the problem.
I would still be in the dark ages if it wasn’t for these guys. So look at what you want, but don’t look at what you don’t want.

But for heavens sake, have fun, that’s what life is all about! Jane
R
Ray
Dec 29, 2003
Chuck,

Have a look at the Photoshop (big bro) forum and you’ll have a new definition of the word "chaotic".
For a light, but still very chaotic version, consider Photoshop Album.

George,

Simply ignore everything that begins with O.T. or OT in the subject line. Easily done if you’re using a newsreader like (but not limited to) Outlook Express.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
Ray, I would characterize those other forums with some stronger adjectives… Chaos is not a bad thing!
🙂
SB
Stu_Bloom
Dec 29, 2003
Apparently the only topic not considered appropriate for this forum is Richard Lynch’s book.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 30, 2003
I suppose the reason that I will ask OT questions here … is that I trust the folks here to give honest and informative answers.

Ray & Chuck … if I ever bought a copy of Photoshop I wouldn’t dare ask any questions on that forum … they may bite!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 30, 2003
Wendy, Ray and I both have Photoshop 7; I don’t know about Ray, but I don’t visit there….
🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 30, 2003
What I said is what I mean, this is the greatest forum. There is wonderful help and advice here, and everybody is friendly.
So if you want to be here and enjoy the fun, stay. If not,,,,,,? Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 30, 2003
Actually, they visit here alot…the full photoshoppers…I post questions there from time to time and they recognize my name from here and the challenge sites. Dave milbut and a couple of others over there are really helpful and polite. I guess it just depends on who you get and the questions you ask. I haven’t been bitten yet….lucky me 🙂
JW
JP White
Dec 30, 2003
wrote:

It tends to happen in forums when there are a large number of regulars who start to form a community – they begin to want to talk about everything else as well – at least most of the topics here do tend to be loosely linked to Elments/digital imaging /photography
Sorry..(I promise I will try to be good and stay on topic – it can be hard for newcomers who want to ask a question about Elements to find all this noise!)

Susan has hit the reason the head. There are a lot of regulars here, and this forum is friendly, especially compared to other photoshop forums. Not too many smart alec’s here.

This forum gets more posts than the other photoshop forums I follow.

Many photoshop users are photographers as well, so naturally they talk about that stuff with people they respect.

JP
R
Ray
Dec 30, 2003
I wath there, that’s all I do. I read what interesting, and simply ignore the rest. Do you know that these people managed to talk about product activation for weeks and weeks and I believe the thread got like 500 posts or something, whitout the moderator stopping it? Wow… And this forum was several times described as being a group of profesionals.. I dunno, but if I’d be a professional
of PS, I’d have more art and less talking to do during my days.

Wendy, Ray and I both have Photoshop 7; I don’t know about Ray, but I don’t visit there….
🙂

AT
Andrew_Turek
Dec 30, 2003
Why so much OT stuff, George?

Because many of us like to indulge in an on-line natter which may begin in a vaguely photographic or Elements-related way but may then drift. Just like any social natter, in fact.

Some of us, of course, are inveterate lowerers of the tone, and we know who we are, don’t we, my fellow peddlers of mildly smutty remarks?

Andrew.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 30, 2003
Who swallowed a canary…
RF
Ronald Florence
Dec 30, 2003
writes:

Why so much OT stuff, George?

Because many of us like to indulge in an on-line natter which may begin in a vaguely photographic or Elements-related way but may then drift. Just like any social natter, in fact.

Sorry to sound like a grouch at holiday time, but …

There are many forums on the web for chit-chat. This is a newsgroup (or Adobe forum, they’re cross-posted) focussed on Photoshop Elements, and it would be much more readable and useful if the off-topic chatter were taken somewhere else, or at least marked with "OT" or "off-topic" in the subject header. The noise/signal ratio has reached the point where it is hard to find postings about PE amidst the chatter. —

Ronald Florence www.18james.com
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 30, 2003
GEORGE,
You’ve been here for a while and I bet if you stay another while you’ll be taking quick looks at the OT’s. DO listen to Ray and the others but ignore Ray’s suggestion that you just DO NOT read OT’s.
(As busy as Ray is, I bet he can’t resist most OT’s ….) Part of the fun in learning PSE from this forum is reading the questions, comments, OT’s etc etc. Even if it is OFF TOPIC I can get a lot of entertainment from the OT’s. (Let me know how your winter rose bush turns out this summer.)
Marty
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 31, 2003
I think we have all beat this to death at George’s expense…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 31, 2003
……curious George 🙂
R
ruizpaul
Dec 31, 2003
I’m new to this forum, but right away I recognized the helpful, friendly and COURTEOUS attitude of the participants. It’s refreshing to see a forum that’s not populated with smug "experts" and folks ready to "put others in their place" for happening to be ignorant on some issue or for having a differing opinion. Some of the photo critiques on some of the digital photography newsgroups can be ablolutely vicious. I for one don’t mind the amount of OTs I’ve seen here. Respectfully, I think the forum is fine, as is.

Paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections