VS
Posted By
Victor_Schmidt
Dec 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a Registered Photoshop Elements user using Mac OS X v10.3.2 on a B&W G3 tower with 704 Mb of Ram, 126+ Gb of Hard Drive space and have Multiple Users set up on my Mac. The Primary User (Me – the Administrator) can use Elements just fine, but the other users of the Mac CAN NOT use Elements, even though I’ve Authorized these users to use it in the Managed User Applications section of the Users System Preferences.

With either of the other users logged in, Elements launches normally, brings up the Adobe Splash Screen and you can see all the various parts of the program which are launching zip by on the Splash Screen, but at the end of the process where the program should pop up, instead the Users receive a message to the effect that the file is Locked and that they need to go into the Get Info box and Un-Lock it – however, the file (at least the PROGRAM) is NOT locked, and it IS checked in System Prefs as one of the Apps the users are authorized to use.

Anyone got any ideas?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 26, 2003
Victor,

Have you gone into Get Info to make sure the ‘others’ have read and write access?

I have 10.3 installed and I can’t find anything in System Preferences that would allow me to control access to the applications for other users. It’s only through Get Info that I find control of access to anything.
VS
Victor_Schmidt
Dec 26, 2003
Open System Preferences, go to Users, Click on the User Profile you want to Open. Once open, you Click on Manage and in a second or two, the window which shows Applications, OS 9 Applications, Utilities, etc. shows up. You Click on the Arrow next to Applications and a box drops down showing all the Applications installed on your Mac. By Default I think EVERYTHING is allowed. You just go down the list and either Check or Un-Check the items you want your other users to have access to. As soon as you Cloce the Window or Click on another User your choices are automatically Saved – so you won’t see a Save Dialog Box or anything like that…

And ‘Yes’, I HAVE gone in on the Users side and done a Get Info on Elements, it is NOT locked. (Although what I suspect is that there is some other file that Elements needs to be Open in order to Run properly that may be locked or something… If so, I haven’t discovered it – YET!!) I did have some ‘funny’ problems getting Elements to be the Default Graphics program to run when I use my Canon LidE 30 Scanner. The scanner kept launching OS 9 and running Elements from there – even though Elements wasn’t even installed on the OS 9 partition. It took me several calls /eMails to Canon to finally track down the problem and get it to work in OS X as advertised!! Go figure…
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 26, 2003
Strange. I have nothing that says Users in my System Preferences (running 10.3) It sounds like a handy item but I don’t have it.

Sorry I couldn’t be of any help with your problem.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 26, 2003
Mark – the stuff to set up users appears in the System panel called Accounts on my copy of 10.3.2 – the options to change the availability of applications to different users only show up if you have more than one (non-admin) user available

Susan S.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 27, 2003
Thanks Susan,

I only have one non-admin user so that explains the missing options.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections