GS
Posted By
Gary_Sumlak
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Not knowing where else to go, I am hoping the gurus here can help, or maybe point me to resource that could help me.

I have to prepare over 5000 images to be included in a DVD as a number of simple DVD slideshow tracks.

Instead of just having black as a background for any pictures that don’t completely fill the frame, I would like to use Photoshop to automate the process of setting levels, resizing and adding a background to the pictures to fill the black space, then flatten the image and save the file using the original name.

I have everything figured out EXCEPT getting a background layer added to picture.

i.e. I have a 640 x 480 texture image I want to use for a background for a portrait 300 x 480 picture.

Like I said, I got everything figured out except how to automate getting the background image into a layer or the target image.

If I use File>Open, Photoshop always wants to use explicit file names, which only works for the first image, and I need it to work for over 5000.

For example, I open my main image called "image09.jpg" and then open the texture image. I use duplicate layer on the texture image, but I then have to choose the destination "image09.jpg", which gets recorded into the action. So, if I try to play the action, it always expects "image09.jpg" to be the target.

Obviously, Duplicate Layer is not the way to go!

I hope I made sense. If anyone can help me out with the one step I’m missing (setting the background layer), I would be extremely grateful!!!

Dual G5 2GHz; Mac OS X (10.3.x); 512 MB RAM, 360 GB HDD

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 7, 2004
Why not paste the background texture layer into the image document then move it under the image and flatten? Just be sure to have it copied to the clipboard before running the action.
GS
Gary_Sumlak
Jul 7, 2004
Well, that would certainly work!! I would have liked to automate to loading of the texture image from a folder, or better yet a series of texture images, but copy/paste works and still saves me a LOT of time.

Thanks for such simple, yet elegant solution that just completely avoided me…

Greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Gary
GS
Gary_Sumlak
Jul 9, 2004
Just one more question if I may.

Because ALL the images are jpg, when the action gets to the last step (Save), the Save dialog pops up with JPEG Options displayed. I always want the same options (Quality 12/Maximum/Baseline), so I don’t need the dialog popping up for every image.

Is there a way to prevent the JPEG Options dialog from being displayed, and just saving the image outright? I know there is an option to Ask Before Saving Layered TIFF Images, but I could not find anything for JPEG.

Thanks again in advance.
Gary

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections