CI
Posted By
Claire_I_Miller
May 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a wonderful slide show, burned it to a CD-R since I didn’t have any "VCDs". Couldn’t play it on my DVD. Maybe my DVD doesn’t accept CD-R’s. But when I went to VideoHelp.com to see if my player is listed to accept VCDs, it says it does. BUT I used a CD-R. Is that the problem? Seems like VCD’s are hard to find and I was told by two electronic stores, CCity and MPlay that VCD’s are the same thing as CD-R’s and CD-RW’s. Is this true?

Any way I can create a slide show to burn to a DVD? I bought DVDs originally thinking that was what I needed but later found out I needed a VCD.

Thanks, ~Claire

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 8, 2005
First off, there is not a type of media called a "VCD", it is just a format used on regular CDs. So the advice you received from these stores was sound.

DVD players may or may not support VCD. You have done the right things [much more prepared than many people who post around here!] and checked. However, DVD players can be fussy about the exact brands of CD-R that they accept – that might be your problem.

VCD quality ain’t that great. A DVD would probably be a whole lot better, but PSE does not support DVDs unaided. Adobe’s solution is to use Premiere Elements in combo with PSE. Many users choose to use other software entirely.
CI
Claire_I_Miller
May 8, 2005
Thanks, I checked out that Premiere Elements… it is a bit expensive for us right now.

Anyone else know of other software programs that are less expensive that will burn to a DVD???

I probably could burn the pictures to the DVD but it wouldn’t be a slide show with music 🙁 and I’m not sure I can convert the jpeg’s to the correct extension for DVD.

~Claire
O
o3v3tz
May 8, 2005
Claire,

Do you have a DVD Burner on your PC?
If yes, it probably came with some software for burning DVD’s. In the Elements 3 Custom Slideshow, write a WMV file to your hard drive at 800×600 Proof, Then read about the software that came with your DVD Burner; it may be able to burn a DVD from the WMV file created by PSE 3. If it can, this is no additional cost to you.

If you don’t have a DVD Burner on your PC, check whether your TV DVD Player can play JPEGs from a CD. Look in your instruction booklet for the TV DVD player and at videohelp.com for this information. This way you would burn pictures to a CD disc (not a DVD disc and not a PSE Slideshow – just the jpeg files) and play just the pictures on your TV with no conversion of file format needed.

Barb O
W
wildbil
May 9, 2005
Hi Claire,

For creating slideshows, you want to check out ProShow Gold from Photodex. It’ll create almost any file type…. Generally speaking, creating VCD from CD doesn’t work. Time to buy a dvd burner… less than 50 bucks almost anywhere. Burn to DVD-R disks.

Barb,

My help menus et al disappeared again from PE3. Geez, I know you helped me fix it before, but I forgot how. Can you please help?

Thanks and Smooth Sailing,
bil garvin
O
o3v3tz
May 9, 2005
OT reply to Bil

For Help,

If you mean Help itself, then

1) If you see the rectangle for Help down on the task bar, right click on it and then Click on Maximize or Restore (whichever is available to you and not greyed out)

2) If number one gets you nowhere, then Close the Help rectangle in the Task Bar. Next launch Help again and hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift while launching Help. You will probably see a pop-up asking if you want to delete Help Preference and say Yes. (As with all deleting of Elements Preferences, the timing of the Ctrl-Alt-Shift can be tricky – so be ready quickly and try again if it does not work the first time.)

If you mean the "How To", I think that the only solution may be to uninstall and install again. On my PC, How To is no longer working but on my laptop it is ok – I don’t know why and I don’t worry about it. I generally use Help or one of my books.

Barb O
AJ
Arnold_J_McCullough
May 9, 2005
I have photoshop # 2 and would like to know how to store pictures from digital camera onto a CD

Much appreciated
Arnold
CW
Colin_Walls
May 9, 2005
Arnold

This is really a new topic …

PSE 2 does not have any CD burning capabilities. If you have Windows XP, you can use its built-in capabilities or you would normally receive software with a CD burner.
K
kawally1
May 10, 2005
Hi, Claire

I would recommend Photo2DVD for making slide show. It has a nice slideshow funcition build in, and help you burn to DVD directly,with all the DVD menus created automatically. For more details, http://www.photo-to-dvd.com

Best Regards.
CI
Claire_I_Miller
May 11, 2005
I do have a DVD burner, or at least that’s what I thought it was. It is a DVD±RW, 16x Multi-Format double layer
CD-ROM drive – 48x max write
Just got this computer about 2months ago.

Anyway, I’m still learning the PSE 3 software and the computer too.

Bil, I downloaded ProShowGold trial. I tried making a DVD slideshow and got an error message … maybe there was too much to put on the DVD, don’t know. But I’m going to give it another try with less info to put on there and see if it will work.
KH
Kevin_Hall
May 11, 2005
VCD quality poor! Is the VCD quality always grainy. I burned a VCD from RAW files with no problems, played on my fairly new TV with DVD player and got lousy quality pictures. Is this the best I can expect from PSE slideshow? Any suggestions to create quality slide shows from PSE would be most appreciated. I do not currently have a DVD burner but would consider one if that would guarantee a quality slide show presentation. Thanks. Kevin H.
O
o3v3tz
May 11, 2005
Kevin,

Any suggestions to create quality slide shows from PSE would be most appreciated

The first thing that I will suggest is simple if your TV’s DVD player supports it; I suspect that the newer it is the better the odds. Write your photos as a folder of JPEGs to a CD, then play the CD with the folder of photos with your TV DVD player. To control the sequence of the photos, make a PSE Collection and then use File > Export with the optional base naming so that the Windows file name preserves the sequence of the Collection.

If your DVD player’s instruction booklet is vague about this capability, try <http://www.videohelp.com/> to see what others have reported for your make and model of TV DVD player. Use Lists – DVD Players on the left.

Now this is not exactly a slideshow because most probably you have no choice for transitions and you may have no or limited music capability. However, I anticipate that it will give you better photo quality than the VCD. It did for me and it has for others. However, since TV resolution is lower than current computer monitor resolution, don’t expect the same as your monitor.

I do not currently have a DVD burner but would consider one if that would guarantee a quality slide show presentation.

I will defer the answer on that one to others.

Barb O
KH
Kevin_Hall
May 11, 2005
I"m going to try the JPEG idea. I probably won’t get to it for a few days due to work and school butr I"ll let you know if there is an improvement in quality. Thanks for your suggestion. Kevin H.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections