MD
Posted By
Mathias_Dubois
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have great problems adding matte to a GIF image. I first tried in Photoshop CS, then in IR, no avail. The goal is to set a white matte to an image that has two colours: white and red. I tried all sorts of settings to each slice, I tried choosing white as transparency, the select the white background with the eyedropper, etc. I tried about every setting, ending up making the matte by making the white part of the image transparent, like I used to do back in the times of PS 4. But that can’t be it. What could be the solution to that problem?

..m

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 30, 2004
In Save for Web can’t you set the matte color in the Matte dropdown on the right side, directly across from Transparency?

You realize that’s the color white in the slot; it’s not blank?
MD
Mathias_Dubois
Jul 1, 2004
I did that aswell. I set the matte dropdown in Save for Web in PS to white, I set it to eyedropper color and picked the white from the background of the image, I chose white from the palette in the menu in IR. Nothing. The background will remain plain white after I save the image.
I also tried choosing the Background Color from the Tool Palette as matte in IR. Nothing. I checked a dozen time that the color in the image was also plain white. It is. On top of that, I have the settings set to 2 colors, 100% web snap, so white is defenitely the only color that comes in question.
The result is still the same.
If I use GifBuilder on the same image, and choose white as matte, it works, in PS and IR it don’t. ..m
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 1, 2004
I’m having trouble following you. What color do you get as the matte when you save your gif? Can you post it somewhere we can see?
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jul 1, 2004
Do you want a transparent image that adds white pixels to it’s edge? Or do you want an image with a white background?
MD
Mathias_Dubois
Jul 1, 2004
What I get is an image with a plain white backgroud.
I posted the whole thing at: <http://www.headsign.de/spezial/photoshop/index.html> ..m
MD
Mathias_Dubois
Jul 1, 2004
Scott: I want an image that has white as matte. The white areas should become trasparent in the GIF output.
..m
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 1, 2004
In the Save for Web dialog use the Eyedropper to select teh white background. From the flyout arrow menu by the Color Table choose Map/Unmap Selected color To/From Transparent. That should do it.

But beware. You will get ugly white fringe pixels so you need to set your matte to the dominent background color of your web page, whatever that color is. Not white.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 1, 2004
From Photoshop Help:

Matte

"Specifies the background color used to fill anti-aliased edges that lie adjacent to transparent areas of the image. With Transparency selected, the matte is applied to edge areas to help blend the edges with a Web background of the same color. With Transparency deselected, the matte is applied to transparent areas. Choosing None for the matte creates hard-edged transparency if Transparency is selected; otherwise, all transparent areas are filled with 100% white. The image must have transparency for the Matte options to be available."

In other words, when you make your transparent graphic there are usually translucent (antialiased) pixels around the edges. But gif does not support translucency, so the solution is to add a color "matte" behind those pixels to make them solid. The default matte is white, which gives you the white fringe that is so such a common problem on the web. You need to approximate the color of your background in those pixels so the fringe will not be so noticeable.
MD
Mathias_Dubois
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks for your advice, Ed. I hadn’t noticed the flyout menu by the colour table, and the small transparency button underneath. Now I can put away Gifbuilder at last.
..m

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections