Posted By
Barbara_Butts
Dec 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello All,

I’ve been reading this forum for a few days as I have time. I have to commend all of you for being very caring, patient and helpful.

I’ve been reading the archives hoping that my questions were already addressed. I copied lots of info from there.

Thanks for the info on using Picture layout. I could NOT figure out how to get more than one pic on a page. However, I’m still not sure, can I do a collage with the pictures and arrange them on the page with fading, captions, clipart, etc.?

After figuring that option out, I opened the "contact sheet" and accidentally (lucky for me) stored a whole folder in thumbnails. I printed them out in case this CD takes a dive. So thanks for telling me about that option too.

Another problem I’m having, since recently downloading Windows XP, is that some of the pics I have saved and recently tried to save are unaccessible. How could that happen, and can I retrieve them?

I read where some of you have had crashes of large files. That’s happened to me more than once. I’ve lost years of data and pics on CD’s. When that happens, can they be captured again? Sorry, I can’t remember who, but someone suggested "deleting the option to have pics opened up in PE" in Windows Explorer. Since downloading Windows XP, I don’t have Windows Explorer anymore, or at least I don’t know where it went because it isn’t in my program files anymore. Now I have MSN Explorer, but I don’t want to use MSN. Is that the same as Windows Explorer and do you know if I have to use it? Does anybody know where Windows Explorer went? I’m not really a novice on a PC, but I sure feel like one since I’m pretty much lost with the new changes.

I know some of these questions are geared towards Windows, but I’m hoping someone might have a clue to these recent problems. XP fixed some problems and created others.

Thanks for any help.

Barb

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LG
Lorace_Graham
Dec 8, 2003
Barbara,

I’m just tackling the Windows Explorer question. On my computer, using Windows XP, HE, I just right/click on the Start button and the same wonderful Windows Explorer is one of my choices.

When I switched to this OS, I was told that there’s no Explorer, and that just ain’t so.

Hope this helps,
Lorace
TW
Trudy_White
Dec 9, 2003
On my XP Windows Explorer has moved to the ‘accessories’ section. Go to START, ALL PROGRAMS and then ACCESSORIES and hopefully you’ll find it there.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Dec 9, 2003
It’s strange isn’t it how different XP is on different computers?

Like all my pictures I can view with the Windows Fax and Picture viewer and yet my brother’s machine doesn’t have that anywhere.

Strange.

Lorace

Actually, if you go to START>My Computer and click on the yellow FOLDERS at the top of the screen, the Explorer appears in the left-hand window on my computer. Just another way that I can access it.
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks everyone for the speedy help. I located Windows Explorer. It has changed tho, and it doesn’t allow me to delete cookies, etc. I found another place to do that.

Lorace, your brother might be able to get updates from Microsoft for XP. I can acess pictures with that program also. I, too, wonder why everyone has a different program.

Can anyone help me on how to make a collage page, and if and how I can covert the documents that won’t open with PE anymore.

Thanks again,

Barb
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 9, 2003
Lorace,

You can also get there by holding the Windows Logo key and tapping the letter "e".

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 9, 2003
Barb, I suggest you start a couple of new threads – one for the collage and one for converting documents. That will give you better "control" over the answers you’re getting, and it will also make it easier for someone else to find answers to similar questions. Thanks!

Collages are fun, and several people on the forum are very good at making them.

Telling you how to get your images back in going to require some more information I think.
AS
Anthony_Spatuzzi
Dec 9, 2003
To put "My Computer" (windows explorer) on the desktop:

Right-click anywhere on desktop. Select ‘Properties’ then ‘Desktop’. Click on ‘Customize Desktop’ and select what you want on the desktop.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 9, 2003
Cookies are easily deleted from the explorer bar (the menu at the top of the page). Tools<Internet Options>General tab.
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 10, 2003
Thanks everyone. You’ve been a big help.

Beth, I’ll post some separate questions later. I’ve been on forums where they didn’t want a lot of posts so things don’t disappear fast, so I was trying not to be a pest and lump everything together. It would be better to have a topic name. That’s what I’ve been looking for to answer some questions I have, so I should have known. 🙂

Thanks,

Barb
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 10, 2003
Barbara Butts,
Honest to goodness, Barbara, I don’t think there will ever be a "Pest" here. The way everyone is so gosh darn NICE!
Marty
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 10, 2003
Hi Marty,

Thank you! 🙂 I have to agree with you. I’m very impressed with the quality of help everyone is getting on this forum and the patience they have. I’ve been reading in the archives looking for answers to some of my questions.

Sooooo, are you all ready for some questions? I’ll just start out with two–in a new post. 🙂

Barb
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 11, 2003
Barbara,
Are you confusing Windows Explorer with Internet Explorer? They are not the same thing. Internet Explorer is the web browser and I think that’s what you are referring to. Windows Explorer is the file management program. Similar to using My Computer, but has a split screen, reminiscent of Wiondows 95.

Patti
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Patti,

Thanks, I’m getting so confused. 🙂 I had to check Internet Explorer to make sure. What I’m looking for was in the Program Files, and I thought it was called Windows Explorer. Whatever it was called, I could click on the Windows folder and delete cookies, temp, temp. inernet files, history, etc. I don’t have a Windows folder anymore in Programs that does that. I searched and checked all the Windows program files, but they’re different than they used to be. I went into Internet Explorer and didn’t see those options either. When I first installed XP, I could click on the "start button", click on disk clean up to do these functions and now that’s missing. I know I can find it again. It’s there somewhere. 🙂

Barbara
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 11, 2003
Those options are still in Internet Explorer under Tools/Options. XP ships with version 6 of IE.

Also accessible in XP in Control Panel/Internet Options (put control panel in Classic View when first opening, easier to get around in there that way, most folks feel).

Mac
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks so much, Mac. There they are alright! 🙂 My head is swimming trying to remember all these changes. I’m going to start a word document and start listing all this info. I wondered what "classic view" meant.

Barbara
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 11, 2003
No worries, Barb.
A new OS is always a learning experience.
XP has soooo many nested options for viewing and etc.
Right click everywhere to find various nested options for just about everthing 🙂

Mac
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
ya, I’m such a right clicker 😉
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 11, 2003
It is an amazing thing, however, how many users do not understand right clicking. I can’t count the number of things I’ve learned with the ‘ol right button.
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks again, Mac. Patti, sorry, you were right too. I was used to looking for the Windows folder. So thanks to you all.

Dick, me too. It’s amazing. I just never thought of it with Windows XP. Everything seemed to be right there in front of me.

Barbara

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections