Resizing Images and Proportions Question ..

S
Posted By
Stuart
Sep 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Earlier this evening I was resizing some images taken on my Digital camera .. They were originally 2048 x 3072 and I wanted to resize them to 2205 along the longest side .. The result with " Constrain Proprtions" came out at 1470 x 2205 .
After I had done a load of them I noticed that another set I did a few months ago had come out at 1654 x 2205 and that was with " constrain proportions" as well….
I am at a loss to figure out why this is .. The previous set look in proportion when you view them ..
Can anyone help
???
Stuart

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

O
oldnsenile_
Sep 7, 2004
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 01:30:01 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

Earlier this evening I was resizing some images taken on my Digital camera . They were originally 2048 x 3072 and I wanted to resize them to 2205 along the longest side .. The result with " Constrain Proprtions" came out at 1470 x 2205 .
After I had done a load of them I noticed that another set I did a few months ago had come out at 1654 x 2205 and that was with " constrain proportions" as well….
I am at a loss to figure out why this is .. The previous set look in proportion when you view them ..
Can anyone help
???
Stuart

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift That is why it is called the present "

Stuart,

Are you sure that the two groups were not taken with two different cameras? Or, does your camera permit different aspect ratio images?

I believe that the ratio 3072 / 2048 = 1.5, is common in the digital SLR’s. My inexpensive Olympus has a 1600 / 1200 = 1.33 ratio (same as your 2205 / 1604), another common aspect ratio. I am not certain, but I believe that some cameras can select between aspect ratios.

Also, it appears that the news feed from the Adobe forum, which formerly appeared in most news servers, may have been discontinued. Most of the (very helpful) "regulars" have always read only the Forum posts, and therefore would not see your posts to the newsgroup. Now, you are probably not seeing their posts either.

You must register (free), and establish a username and password, in order to post on the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum
(www.adobeforums.com).

You can access the Forum (after registration), either by web browser (www.adobeforums.com), or with a news reader through the news server "adobeforums.com". You should find greater response to your requests for assistance there.

OldnSenile
S
Stuart
Sep 7, 2004
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 07:03:12 GMT,
(OldnSenile) wrote:

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 01:30:01 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

Earlier this evening I was resizing some images taken on my Digital camera . They were originally 2048 x 3072 and I wanted to resize them to 2205 along the longest side .. The result with " Constrain Proprtions" came out at 1470 x 2205 .
Can anyone help
???
Stuart

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift That is why it is called the present "

Stuart,

Are you sure that the two groups were not taken with two different cameras? Or, does your camera permit different aspect ratio images?
I believe that the ratio 3072 / 2048 = 1.5, is common in the digital SLR’s. My inexpensive Olympus has a 1600 / 1200 = 1.33 ratio (same as your 2205 / 1604), another common aspect ratio. I am not certain, but I believe that some cameras can select between aspect ratios.
Also, it appears that the news feed from the Adobe forum, which formerly appeared in most news servers, may have been discontinued. Most of the (very helpful) "regulars" have always read only the Forum posts, and therefore would not see your posts to the newsgroup. Now, you are probably not seeing their posts either.

You must register (free), and establish a username and password, in order to post on the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum
(www.adobeforums.com).

You can access the Forum (after registration), either by web browser (www.adobeforums.com), or with a news reader through the news server "adobeforums.com". You should find greater response to your requests for assistance there.

OldnSenile

Hey…thx for your answer and you are correct in your thinking …The two sets WERE taken with different cameras ..The first ones with a Minolta Dimage and the current ones with a Canon D10 SLR …I no longer have the Minolta but iirc they were taken at 1200 x 1600 so were increased in size when I resized them to ???? x 2205 and the Canon ones have been downsized.
It hadnt occurred to me that different cameras would have diffeent ratios ..My immediate reaction would have been to think that would make the pictures look odd but clearly it doesnt ..

Thx for the info about the Adobe Forums …

Stuart

A
AK
Sep 7, 2004
Stuart:

In addition to having used different cameras, you may have used a different number of pixels/inch. Check to see if they have the same number – then they should be the same size.

Alan

"Stuart" wrote in message
Can anyone help
???
Stuart

S
Stuart
Sep 7, 2004
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:35:21 GMT, "AK"
wrote:

Stuart:

In addition to having used different cameras, you may have used a different number of pixels/inch. Check to see if they have the same number – then they should be the same size.

Alan

The Minolta pics were shot at 1200 x 1600 and they resized to 1654 x 2205 at 300 DPI with 2205 being the input figure .

The Canon ones were shot at 2048 x 3072 and they resized to 1470 x 2205 at 300 DPI ,again with 2205 being the input figure .

Constraint Proportions were ON in both cases …

I guess it IS because they are from different cameras …

Stuart

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections