AM
Posted By
Alex_Marshall
Jan 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for help in identifying a feature that a friend of mine used to plan out photo based quilts (we’ve lost touch or I’d just ask her). I’ll describe the process and hopefully someone will know what I’m talking about and tell me if this is still possible in CS2.

She’d take a photo, scan it in, convert it to greyscale and reduce the ppi to something like 5, giving her the basic grid she needed for a simple quilt.

Then she’d pull up a window (and this is where I have no idea what the actual things she did are called) that had a preview window and two palettes, one over the other. The top palette had every color that was used in the image, arranged from white to black. What you would do in this window was select a specific swath of tones and then indicate in the secondary palette window a single color to replace all of them. This allowed her to easily replace all the shades of grey in the image with 10 or so, while still having a reference via the preview window to make sure that the resulting image still was recognizable.

In working with Photoshop CS2 the closest feature I’ve found that emulates this is Color Replacement, however it simply does not effectively switch out the full range of colors in an image for a lesser amount. If anyone knows what I’m talking about, I’m fairly sure she was using Photoshop 7.0.1 or the first CS.

Thanks! Let me know if you need any further clarification of the process!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bernie
Jan 8, 2007
Selective Colour maybe?

I’d say go through all the adjustments available and see.
B
Buko
Jan 8, 2007
replace color?
AM
Alex_Marshall
Jan 8, 2007
I’ve gone through all of the adjustments but nothing has the interface I remember, nor does anything seem to specifically do what I remember. Replace color does come the closest but I’m having a very difficult time fine tuning my selections. At the resolution I’m working on I can do the same thing with the magic wand tool..

What I liked about the mystery technique was that it showed you every color that was used in the piece (and since the image had been given a high ppi at most you were potentially dealing with 300 ish specific colors) and made it simple to replace them. Admittedly I’ve only seen this used on greyscale images, so it might not apply to CMKY or RBG..

Ah well, I appreciate the input so far, here’s hoping someone sees this and goes "I know exactly what you’re talking about!"
B
Bernie
Jan 9, 2007
(and since the image had been given a high ppi at most you were potentially dealing with 300 ish specific colors)

PPI and number of colours have nothing to do with each other.

Are you sure the person was not working in Indexed colour mode?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections