Posted By
Gillfish
Mar 30, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I am using Photoshop CS3 and have a question regarding "replace color."

First…here are the steps I enacted prior to trying to use the ‘replace color’ function:

1. In RGB Mode – – Selected and filled a shape a color.
2. Ran the selected object through Alien Skin/Impact "Chrome" function.
3. Selected ‘adjustments/desaturate.’ Did this so that I could then go to Adjustments/color balance….. and then change the entire color of the object to a predominantly red chrome looking scheme.
4. After giving the object a ‘chrome’ appearance, I wanted to go into the ‘white’ hilite areas of the object and sample them – and then change them to a bright red color….this is where the ‘REPLACE COLOR’ function comes in.
5. So I use the color sample eye dropper within ‘REPLACE COLOR’ and select the white areas I want to change to red…as the ‘selection color.’
6. Then, I click down in the lower color box (result color) and sample a color that I want to change the white hilite areas to…in this case, red.
7. This is where the problem occurs – – even though I chose a result color of red…the white areas turn to grayscale within my colored object…so just those areas are gray!!! What the heck??!!

So… how can I desaturate a selected object… then recolor it using ‘Color Balance’…. and then replace colors and have the replaced colors actually be a color instead of a gray color?

My file is in RGB mode and everything else is in COLOR…. yet I cannot replace areas within this colored graphic with other colors…it just keeps putting gray tones into the object.

HELP??

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CY
curt_young
Mar 30, 2009
I don’t think you can change white or black with "replace color" as neither one are technically colors. They have to have something to work on.
G
Gillfish
Mar 30, 2009
Hi Curt – – this occurs even if I select a color within the same file… something about desaturating the file and then adding color back into it…I can’t get it to replace color after that.
CY
curt_young
Mar 30, 2009
Try this link for a couple of suggestions.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b55cf6/2>
AJ
april.j.dill
Mar 30, 2009
You have to give the white a color to make it no longer in grayscale. It’s pretty easy. Just go to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > CHANNEL MIXER. Play with the Constant option to effect colors of black, white and gray. To turn blacks into color, move the constant option to a + percent. To turn the white into color, move the constant option to a – percent. After you do this, you can use replace color on the file if you need to.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections