BH
Posted By
Beth_Haney
Dec 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A while back there was a post in which someone asked if there really was a 2GB RAM limit for both full Photoshop and Elements. Rich Coencas was on vacation during the time it was active, but he just sent me a response to a message in which I asked him to do some checking. I’ve copied his answer from my e-mail. This won’t be a problem for the likes of me, but it might be of interest to other people, especially anyone getting ready to buy a new system or upgrade their old one.

"The 2 gig limit applies to both Photoshop and Elements and it continues to apply in PS CS, so will certainly apply in the next version of Elements.

The long and the short of it is that PS is a 32bit app and therefore can’t take advantage of RAM beyond 2gb. However if you are running multiple applications, the extra memory will leave more memory for Photoshop. So if you run Elements or PS by itself, you will not make use of memory beyond 2gb, but if you run multiple apps you might see some performance improvements."

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 5, 2003
"The 2 gig limit applies to both Photoshop and Elements and it continues to apply in PS CS, so will certainly apply in the next version of Elements.

Actually, PhotoShop CS no longer has the 2GIG or 30,000 pixel limit. However, the file must be saved as a proprietary file type (not PSD or TIFF), so not sure how much value it’s going to be in the long run.

Mac
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 5, 2003
Mac,

The 2 gig limit does not refer to file size, it refers to amount of RAM used by the application. It has not changed in CS, though you are correct that the 30,000 pixel limit has been expanded.

Rich
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 5, 2003
OIC..
Didn’t mean to confuse the issue…
Thanks for clarification.

Mac

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections