CB
Posted By
christopher_beale
Jun 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do you make CS see more that 2GB of RAM. I know that was a limitation of older versions but I was told CS was different!
I have 3GB of RAM but CS only sees 1.77GB’s.

Regards

CB

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 9, 2004
The OS will only allow an application access to 2GB of RAM. it’s not a Photoshop limitiation, it’s an OS limitation.
P
progress
Jun 9, 2004
thought about using the extra as a ram disk and pointing CS to it to use it as scratch? I havent tried it but I would expect it to be almost a beneficial as running CS with 3gb of ram…
L
Larryr544
Jun 9, 2004
Progress – How would you set up a RAM disk?

Scott – So if the limit is 2GB why can he only go to 1.77GB? 2GB is really 2.147GB’s.
R
Ram
Jun 9, 2004
Larry,

Chris has explained there’s some overhead involved here. Do a search on Chris Cox overhead
L
Larryr544
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks Ramón – I found it and it makes sense. Maybe in PS 9.0 Adobe will check the installed and available memory and ask for blocks that would require paging but also speed things up.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections