Not enough ram to open RAW file. I have 3GB!!!!! HELP!

KQ
Posted By
Kevin_Quattro
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For those of you following my CS2 woes, I finally got CS reinstalled and working…I thought.

When I go to the file browser and I try to open a 6.3mp Canon CRW file in to the RAW loader, it errors out and says I do not have enough ram.

I have 3GB of real ram, 1024mb page file. I don’t have a CS scratch disk specified, it didn’t seem to make a difference.

What the hell is going on. This has been the week from hell with CS and me!!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 23, 2005
Kevin,

Try to set the page file to at least the physical RAM size.

Hope this week will be good for you…

Rob
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 23, 2005
This may be of no use seeing as it is a fresh install but I get this error message (apparently randomly) in CS trying to open CRW files with 2Gb of RAM and resetting prefs works. I’ve been reading your tales of woe with CS2 and hope you get sorted out soon.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 23, 2005
Kevin, what percentage of memory is allocated to Photoshop? Don’t allocate all the memory, otherwise, plug-ins, as ACR will not have memory to operate.
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 23, 2005
The default for Windows is 55% and that is a good place to start/finish. Having lots of ram is great but giving it to Photoshop (like we did prior to CS2) very often isn’t necessary or even desirable. If you’re determined to to allocate more to Photoshop then try to keep it below 75%. That way the elements of Photoshop that work outside the Photoshop ram allocation (eg many of the plug-ins and filters) have something to work with. Remember that the 2GB limit per process still applies when using Win XP
KQ
Kevin_Quattro
May 23, 2005
Whew, thanks, that worked. I set Pshops mem to 55% and it now loads my CRWs.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 24, 2005
Bridge also runs outside Photoshop’s memory space, since it’s now a separate program, unlike the CS Browser.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections