???PhotoShop CS – Which OS?, Single or Dual Processor?, Ram?, Etc.

JK
Posted By
jeff_kaiser
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
??? I have questions.

I bought the new verson of PhotoShop CS. I use Photoshop regularly with file sizes in the 250 to 1G ranges.

I am ready to buy a new Dell PC and have the following questions:

1. Which OS runs PhotoShop CS better, XP Pro or 2000 Pro?

2. I am looking at a 3.20ghz Xeon processor. Will CS run any better with two processors?

3. Should I go with 4 gigs of ram, or does CS max out ram usage with less?

4. Does CS take advantage of Hyper-Threading technology?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TT
Tim_Trepanier
May 20, 2004

1. Which OS runs PhotoShop CS better, XP Pro or 2000 Pro?

XP Pro would be better then 2000.

2. I am looking at a 3.20ghz Xeon processor. Will CS run any better with two processors?

I don’t know, but i would expect it to.

3. Should I go with 4 gigs of ram, or does CS max out ram usage with less?

Both Windows XP Pro and 2000 have inherit limits that prevent any one application from using more then 2GB of RAM. Getting 4GB is still a good idea because XP Pro itself and any other apps you have open won’t take away from the 2GB that PS can access. If you really want PS to have access to more then 2GB of RAM get a Mac.

4. Does CS take advantage of Hyper-Threading technology?

I don’t know. But at the very least your CPU (i believe the 3.2GHz Xeon supports it), and your BIOS need to support it.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 20, 2004
Yes, PS takes advantage of Hyperthreading, just as it also supports mulptiple processors.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 20, 2004
I am under thr impression that PS will run 2G max on Mac also. No?

If you already run W2k, go ahead and use that. I run CS on 2000 very well. I don’t see much advantage to replacing it with XP. With a new machine, I would buy XP.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections