KA
Posted By
Kathryn_A_Marcellino
Jun 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just started getting type 3 error messages with Photoshop and Illustrator and Premiere. I can open photoshop but it asks for plug-ins and when I find them and try to open a new file or an existing file it gives me a type 3 error message so I can’t open any files or start a new one. I downloaded a new URL Access 2.3 and now it freezes when I try to open a file rather than give any error message. It also gives a type 3 error message with extensions off. I transfered my entire system to my other hard drive (I have two) and it still locks up and nothing has changed. I reinstalled Photoshop 5.5 a few times and it still doesn’t work and tried another version also and it always asks for plug-ins as it starts up (or adobe gamma) which it never did before. I’m using Mac OS 9.1. What could be wrong? This started happening after I was viewing fonts online but not downloading any but I don’t know if that is connected.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jun 6, 2004
It could well be a memory problem, but you give us no clues as to what your machine is, how much RAM you have installed, how much RAM is assigned to each of the applications that are giving you trouble, how much hard drive is available (both in terms of MB and % of disk capacity), etc.

Unless your machine can’t handle it, you should upgrade to Mac OS 9.2.2.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 6, 2004
gives a type 3 error message with extensions off.

That’s a pretty clear sign of a hosed install…on your words, may want to look at your System fonts, remove the suspects.

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/nolaunch.html>
KA
Kathryn_A_Marcellino
Jun 6, 2004
What’s a "hosed install?"… Thanks.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 6, 2004
One that doesn’t launch Photoshop booted with all extensions off 🙂

It could be a bad font or a corrupted system, or a bad Photoshop preference…
KA
Kathryn_A_Marcellino
Jun 6, 2004
Thanks for the info… I took out all fonts except the original system fonts that I reloaded from the original disk and trashed the photoshop preferences and no luck. By the way I have a G-4 with 348 mb of Ram and a 120 hard drive so I have plenty of memory. Now I’m going to reformat one of my drives and start from scratch. Don’t know what else to do. More than just photoshop is not working now including Quark Xpress and almost every program except Internet Explorer and America Online. Thanks for your help.
R
Ram
Jun 6, 2004
Kathryn,

I have a G-4 with 348 mb of Ram and a 120 hard drive so I have plenty of memory.

A lot of folks would disagree with your conclusion. 328MB of RAM is not very much these days. How much RAM are you currently allocating to Photoshop? RAM is cheap now; max out your computer with RAM.

Hard disk space is not "memory", though some people will refer to it that way.

How much disk space is available on your hard drive? Have you checked the disk for fragmentation? A heavily fragmented disk can have that kind of impact.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 6, 2004
I’m going to reformat one of my drives and start from scratch.

That can save you time at the end of the day.

Remember to go slow and pay attention…

<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/initialize.html>

PS:
I wouldn’t spend time doing a ZeroWrite unless you suspect Bad Blocks (BB can cause crashing and corruption). However, do consider making a BACKUP mirror of your finished tuned working install…

<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/backitup.html>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections