Type not showing in downloaded pdf file?

SP
Posted By
steve_peters
Nov 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I prepared a pdf of some of my portfolio pieces and uploaded it to my web site. I am using CS2 and Acrobat 7.0.7. When I download the file none of the type shows up. I prepared the files by dropping in some images to a page that was !!"x14" @ 150dpi, then I added some type. I left the layers in tact before saving the file out as a pdf so that the type would remain vector. Then I did a save as PS PDF. I selected Press Quality with Acrobat 5 compatibility. I had nothing checked under the General category. Under compression I selected do not down sample, jpeg compression, medium quality. Under output, no conversion and include destination profile. Then I opened one of the files in Acrobat Pro, then inserted my 13 remaining files and saved. The file was around 16mb. Then my wife uploaded that file to my website using Dreamweaver. I checked the pdf file before it was uploaded and everything was fine, but once it was downloaded all of the type was gone. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Nov 20, 2006
Acrobat is at 7.0.8 now.

is there a link to the PDF?

I have found that if I place my pics in ID and then make my PDF I get a smaller file.

I don’t know if you have ID.
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Nov 21, 2006
Hi Steve,

Any way you could post a link to the pdf?

Cheers, Pat
R
Ram
Nov 21, 2006
Strangely enough, I ran into this glitch today. Any PDF I tried to open in Acrobat 7.0.8 would have missing type.

I had launched Acrobat (not Reader) by double clicking on a PDF document I know to be OK (an Adobe ReadMe file), so on a hunch, I quit Acrobat, re -aunched it and opened the same file through the File > Open command. It opened fine, and after that all PDF files open normally, also when double clicked.

I had never seen this glitch before.

(The only thing new is the Apple Raw update. Totally unrelated, I would think.)
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Nov 21, 2006
Yep, Just got the same thing here, but when I changed pages and came back the page was okay again. I’ll put a post on the Acrobat forum about this..
DK
Doug_Katz
Nov 21, 2006
Ramón, I’m suspecting a bowl of macadamia nuts leaning on the keyboard. Or maybe salted Brazilian walnuts would more likely affect text appearance in a PDF.

Come to think of it, it’s surely the walnuts. The nuts from Hawaii tend to screw up soft returns in justified text in Illustrator CS2. 🙂
R
Ram
Nov 21, 2006
You may be right. It’s gotta be the walnuts. I can’t stand walnuts; give me pecans any day.
AR
alan_ruta
Nov 21, 2006
Maybe its Paulie Walnuts leaning on…
DK
Doug_Katz
Nov 21, 2006
<<give me pecans any day.>>

A man after my own heart…
SP
steve_peters
Nov 22, 2006
If you go to my website, <http://www.stevepetersdigital.com/>, then once the home page loads, click on the PDF tab in the upper right corner.

I did try and to open as Ramon suggested, and that works. The only problem is that now I would have to explain how to open this file each time some one downloads it.
B
Buko
Nov 22, 2006
Personally I wouldn’t worry about it.

Reader and Preview might work completely different than Acrobat. 7.0.8
R
Ram
Nov 22, 2006
Steve,

Not meaning to be flippant, but I have a very fast broadband connection and your site takes a while to load; also the PDF is a whopping 8MB or so. I don’t think too many people are going to have the patience to wait…

Well, I did have the patience :). The PDF opens fine here.

Nice work you have in there.
R
Ram
Nov 22, 2006
I should add that I opened it by double-clicking on its icon, which launched Acrobat, as it was not running. The PDF opened fine.
SP
steve_peters
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks Ramon. That is strange that it worked for you. I had another person try it and it did not work for them either. As far as the size, I haven’t done alot of pdf’s, so I am not to savvy when it comes to creating them. I just wanted to have something posted in case an agency or photographer needed to be able to print something out and didn’t have time to wait for the real book. Most of those people should have a fast enough connection, but that doesn’t mean that I would be opposed to trying to get it smaller. If you or anyone else could recommend a better way of getting the file size down with out effecting the overall quality, I sure would appreciate it.
PD
Paul_D._Ferguson
Nov 22, 2006
Hi Steve,

I am the Photoshop engineer responsible for the PDF features in Photoshop.

I am seeing blank pages when I view the PDF within Safari using the native Safari PDF rendering (not the Acrobat plugin.) Moreover, if I download the file and view it in Preview, I also see missing text.

After I installed the Acrobat 8 plugin for Safari, the PDF rendered correctly. Opening the file directly in Acrobat 8, I don’t see any missing text there either, and Acrobat’s PDF verification tools don’t report any syntax or structural problems with the file.

This would point to the Mac OS X PDF renderer as a possible culprit. You might want to check on Apple’s Mac OS X forums to see if anyone has reported problems like this.

(Also, I love your portfolio, great stuff!)

Paul

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections