R
Posted By
Ram
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This may be a temporary glitch, but if it isn’t, I thought it’s important enough to post this in a new thread:

CAUTION !

I have repeatedly tried downloading the 10.3.4 Combined Update from the Apple site, and It consistently gives me a tiny 64K file. This leads me to believe that the update may have been withdrawn. (Remember the first release of 10.2.8?)

The regular update (39.5 MB) downloads normally, in about 5 minutes.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JV
John_Vitollo
May 28, 2004
Downloaded a few times today with no problem. Did you try with a different browser?

< http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxcombinedupdate. html>
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
downloads just fine for me too.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Yes, of course I tried different browsers. The regular update downloads just fine.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Just tried four times again this minute. This time the disk images are 192 KB, but still won’t mount of course. It downloads in one second or so.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Everything else from Apple downloads fine. I’m not touching this thing.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
See if this link works better for you: it’s the one from the top right-hand corner of the page.

Combo 10.3.4 < http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3rdpty1.pl/product= 04232&platform=osx&method=sa/MacOSXUpdateCombo10.3.4 .dmg>
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Ann,

I’m not touching it.

Here’s something else: this is waht the More Info page on the Combo Update says about System requirements:

System Requirements

— Mac OS X
— Version 10.3 – 10.3.2

No mention of 10.3.3.

The Info page on the regular update says:

System Requirements

— Mac OS X
— Version 10.3.3
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Ann,

The link you provided appears to be working. It’s downloading now, 10 minutes remaining. However, I’m still going to wait a few weeks. 8-|
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
I know that the notes say that about the updaters, and this has been discussed extensively in the Apple Discussions.
However, the answer is that you can use either version if you are already on 10.3.3 — and the Combo version can be safer if your System is not in perfect condition.

I think that you either ran into a busy server, some sort of firewall, or clicked on a bad link.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Well, maybe a busy server but not a bad link. I tried several links at the Apple site and, besides, the tiny file that downloaded had the proper dmg icon and the correct name.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
I am glad that the new link is working for you.

I haven’t run into any problems with this update but do disconnect any firewire peripherals before installing because the installation requires a restart and you should never do that before ejecting external drives.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Thanks for the reminder about the external FireWire drives. I do have two. I’ll eject them and unplug them.
C
CygnusX1
May 28, 2004
No mention of 10.3.3.

Ramon, a combo update is for anyone who hasn’t updated to 10.3.3. So, if you are running 10.3.3, you don’t need the combo update.

Just use Software update in OSX
The combo update is for those who are using 10.3.2 or just 10.3
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Cygnus,

I understand that. But since the Combo Update can be run on 10.3.3 too –and many experienced users recommend doing that– I’m a little suspicious that 10.3.3 is not explicitly included.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
I went with the Combo (even though I had 10.3.3) and it has updated my System perfectly.

I think that Apple just post the shorter version as a courtesy to those with slow Internet connections.
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
I ran the combo on 10.3.4. worked fine.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
Buko is always ahead of everyone else: he even << ran the combo on 10.3.4. >> which would appear to put him on 10.3.5?!
C
Cindy
May 28, 2004
Ramone, it will work fine to run the Combo on 10.3.3. I did. Just run permissions before and after and you will be ok.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Cindy,

I know that, I’ve even said so. 🙂

What made me suspicious was the omission of 10.3.3 on the info page coupled with the tiny downloaded dmg file. Kind of like Apple was being careless.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
And, of course, there was the precedent set with the first release of 10.2.8, subsequently withdrawn by Apple.
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
Ramon you’re paraniod
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Buko,

So? I’ve said it before: “just because I’m paranoid that doesn’t mean they’re not out to get me.”
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
You’re still paranoid B)
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
… and they’re still out to get me.
VL
Venicia_L_2
May 28, 2004
I ran permissions before I updated.

I ran permissions after I updated.

In fact I let Cocktail do everything it possibly could. Before. And after.

I KNOW that one is supposed to do this when installing software.

I would just like to know why in the world such precautions are necessary when running an update of the OS itself from the maker of the OS? If anyone should be able to prepare the system and check that it is in the correct state for updating, and that after updating, all is as it should be, shouldn’t that be Apple?

Shouldn’t the OS updater handle such important matters?

How is it that the programmers of Cocktail, et al, are more reliable to set all system parameters to some golden condition than the brain trust at Apple?

Huh?

VL
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
The mere fact that permissions need to be repaired before and after installing anything that requires an installer points to a major shortcoming in the implementation of Apple’s overall plan for the OS.
L
Larryr544
May 28, 2004
I ran everything before and after and repaired everything before and after and now I’m running 10.3.4. Great!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 28, 2004
than the brain trust at Apple?

Hmm..

lemme guess….

It wouldn’t be the fact that the company treats it’s people like shit, would it?
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 28, 2004
I didn’t upgrade anything and I feel great too!

: )
L
LRK
Jun 5, 2004
I am beginning to wonder if Ramon might be right. Since running this update I’m having more applications crash than I did before… even ImageReady and GoLive 6 have been crashing, which may be a first since running then with Panther.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 5, 2004
I have not had a single crash, in any program, since installing the Combo update and I get the impression that this has been the experience of just about everyone else who contributes to this Forum.

I am quite certain that Linda’s problem lies elsewhere — like being a member of the "Save Old Fonts Society"?

I seriously suggest that the time has come to finally jettison those senile fonts — and to run Cocktail.

Definitely keep those fonts off your new G5 when it comes or I am absolutely certain that you will infect it with all of your G4’s diseases.
B
Buko
Jun 5, 2004
I have not had a single crash, in any program, since installing the Combo update and I get the impression that this has been the experience of just about everyone else who contributes to this Forum.

Same here
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jun 5, 2004
Ditto.
R
Ram
Jun 5, 2004
Linda,

I’ve been on 10.3.4 for a little over 48 hours, and I have not seen any malfunctions or slowdowns. Knock on wood.

As for fonts, I do have a bunch of very old fonts, together with newer ones, and they are all behaving normally. I did redo the original Optima in Fontographer and saved it as Zoptima (Zapf Optima). The problem with that particular font was that it had two completely different fonts included in the same file (one for LaserWriter and one for Imagesetters); I believe early versions of ITC Eras had the same idiosyncrasy.

When I switched from 9.x to Panther, I did have to get rid of a few Monotype fonts that got corrupted (Bodoni Ultra Bold, New Berolina, Old English Text, etc.)
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 5, 2004
Let hamsters run free.

Please continue your quest, for I shall not upgrade.
R
Ram
Jun 5, 2004
I still have 10.3.3 installed on a separate internal bootup drive. Just in case.
L
LRK
Jun 5, 2004
Ramon, I may have some of those fonts installed. I’ll check it out. Thanks!
L
LRK
Jun 5, 2004
Whoops… I meant to address Ann first….

Ann, I agree it probably is fonts. 🙂
L
LRK
Jun 5, 2004
Hey Ann…

Are you still working on the Ann Diet? I’m about ready to try it. I almost collapsed this week from not eating enough. Took me two full days to recover.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 5, 2004
<< I almost collapsed this week from not eating enough. >>

That was what I feared — one celery stick dipped in mustard does not a Dinner make!

Now go out and buy yourself some smoked salmon, some raspberries and cream and even some dark Belgian chocolate. Feeling better?!

Remember the secret is small helpings, NO nibbling between meals, and a whole range of foods that you really like — except for grains.
All things in moderation or you will drop dead before you even get to unpack that G5.

[By the way, another "bad" font was also from Monotype: Times NewRoman MT.]
L
LRK
Jun 5, 2004
Ann, You have the patience of Job. 🙂 Thanks!
R
Ram
Jun 5, 2004
Times is bad in any way shape or form from any foundry. 😉
L
LRK
Jun 5, 2004
Really?
R
Ram
Jun 5, 2004
Linda,

I was being facetious because I detest the typeface. 😉
L
LRK
Jun 5, 2004

8)
L
Larryr544
Jun 8, 2004
Just in time since the rumors are that new G5’s will be announced this week. Only the shadow knows for sure!
L
LRK
Jun 8, 2004
Really?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 8, 2004
If Linda continues to subsist on a single celery stick dipped in mustard, SHE will be the shadow — but we may never know for sure…
C
Cindy
Jun 8, 2004
Really!
L
LRK
Jun 8, 2004
Not to worry… It’s gonna be a while…
L
Larryr544
Jun 9, 2004
Check out appleinsider.com for the latest! I am not affiliated nor do I know if any of these sites are accurate.
R
Ram
Jun 9, 2004
Software Update alerted me to a new security update dated 06/07/2004 and apparently posted today.

I applied it and everything seems OK.

For details CLICK HERE < http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate_2004-0 6-07_(_10_3_4).html>.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
The shadow knows many things….

Even the shadow keeper, knows less..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections