The TRUTH about Photoshop EPS files ?!?!

VW
Posted By
Vancouver_Workstation
May 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay…
Anyone know what the deal is with the EPS settings when saving a CMYK Photoshop EPS for print?

We generally work with extremely large box files (final flat size being 100-500 megs average). We save them encoded "JPEG (maximum quality)" to conserve file size.

But what are the check boxes options for?

"Include Haftone Screen"
"Include Transfer Function"
"PostScript Color Management"
"Include Vecor Data"
"Image Interpolation"

Do they make a difference in the work flow at the press? Generally we leave them all unchecked, but I’m wondering if this is the correct thing to do? Most of our box files are printed in Japan and PostScript color management hasn’t been an issue, it’s most of the other options I’m curious about. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RW
Rene_Walling
May 27, 2004
Generally we leave them all unchecked

It’s the best thing to do.

The only exception may be include vector data which you want to check if you have vector data your want to preserve for printing. Be aware that if the printer needs to reopen the file, the vector data gets rasterized, so you should also include a PSD file with the vector data.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
I believe that some RIPs object to JPEG encoding.
When I used QXP, and so had to save as EPS, I always used Binary encoding and a JPEG Preview.
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
We save them encoded "JPEG (maximum quality)" to conserve file size.

Big mistake
MK
michael_kulpa
May 28, 2004
You will save space but if a Prepress person doesn’t preflight the file before it’s output it will print as a greyscale image or not at all.
J
jonf
May 28, 2004
I was recently told that "preserve halftone" is necessary if you have a duotone which you intend to place in page layout document, then save as a pdf for press. Supposedly leaving it unchecked will cause the two plates in your duotone to print with the same screen angles. I can’t confirm empirically whether this is true or not. Any experts know about this one?
VW
Vancouver_Workstation
May 28, 2004
As to the "jpeg compression" setting being a no no (big mistake)…

I already know this, and in most cases I will use binary encoding… Luckily our printers in Japan are experienced and have been dealing with our large box files for years and there is literally no degredation in quality when using the JPEG compression format with our 6-8 color spot DCS files. Thus their RIP’s are able to handle most compression formats without compromise as well as some of our U.S. and European vendors. As we all know there are do’s and dont’s in print, but there’s always exceptions. Just depends on who you’re dealing with.

I’ve heard some information about the half-tone screen option, thanks for confirming some of these things…

Thanks…
T
Todie
May 29, 2004
You should be able to chose the angle of the Pantone halftone at printing time, in the layout or imposition application.
(no need to save that in the EPS)

The feature could be useful if different line screens are needed on the same page, but the resolution of the image/platesetter may be an obstacle.
VW
Vancouver_Workstation
Jun 1, 2004
Ahhhh…
:S

Well to be on the safe side I will leave them all unchecked unless otherwise noted. Thanks…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections