What determines how a PDF or EPS file is opened??????

KD
Posted By
Kevin_Dub
Sep 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell, what determines how a PDF or EPS is opened in Photoshop.

If I open a PDF in photoshop, the first thing that pops up is the settings for which you want it to open. i.e., color mode, resolution, you choose what you want and then open.

I always thought that how the file was created determines the initial settings in which photoshop displays in that little dialogue box. (for example, if I open an illustrator eps file that I created in photoshop, it always prompts the correct settings (300dpi, CMYK) I click open and it works great.

But when I open a PDF in photoshop it always displays the color mode as RGB, not cmyk. Which i find odd, because I know there is no RGB color space in the PDF.

Today something weird happend, I created an Ad in Indesign, every image I am certain was 300 dpi, and the rest are vectors. Exported it to PDF with high resolution settings, but when I opened it up in Photoshop, the settins dialogue box promted it as 72dpi, which again I find odd because I know each image is 300, the rest are vectors, and I know the PDF preset to which I exported it creates high res images.

Does anyone know what determines how a PDF or eps file is opened in Photoshop and why photoshop is rendering a PDF in which I am certain is hi res, to a low res?

Thanks for any help. Kevin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 29, 2008
Kevin,

Apart from PDF, an EPS file opens after having set a resolution for the rendered version. As you know PS is a pixel editor, and opening a vector file needs a user decision.

Rob
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 29, 2008
PDF can contain elements of varying resolution and color space. So it is reasonable that Photoshop cannot make perfect sense of how to open it… requiring you to set the options in the Import PDF dialog.
M
Mylenium
Sep 30, 2008
Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell, what determines how a PDF or EPS is opened in Photoshop.

Nothing, really. EPS provides this info openly in its header, but it is not always right, so PS cannot even assume it would be correct to use that info. For PDF it’s a different story. PDF is a container format that can contain any number of items in mixed resolutions and colorspaces, hence PS cannot assume anything. Likewise, you can have multiple pages, links, multimedia content, all of which may influence the result upon display or rasterization…

Mylenium
KD
Kevin_Dub
Sep 30, 2008
thank you very much for the feedback, I really appreciate it

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections