EP
Posted By
Edward_Parker
Nov 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After installing the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 that came with my Epson Perfection 3200 Photo scanner, I now have problems accessing general .PDF documents with Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0.

It seems as though Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 assumes all .PDF documents are photographs. The only way I can access a form for example is to open Adobe Acrobat Reader first, then select the document I want to open. I can no longer open a PDF document just by clicking on it, Photoshop Elements 2.0 grabs it first! ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 16, 2003
Not to panic. I assume you’re using Windows, since most Mac users identify themselves. Here are two things you can try. Since I try not to use a Win machine, I don’t remember which is the most expedient in your case. I suspect this one:

Right click on the icon of a PDF document and go down to where it says "Open With"; Adobe Acrobat Reader should show up in the list. Just select that. If it’s not in the list, there’s a "show more options" area, and you can scroll to the Acrobat Reader app on your hard drive and select it that way. Once you’ve done this for one PDF doc, all of them should open in Acrobat Reader. You might also notice that all other files types on your hard drive also now open in Elements; you can repeat the above process to get them to open in another app if you prefer.

There’s also something under Edit>Open With in Elements itself. I haven’t ever used this one, but I think it produces a similar result.

If you’re still having trouble (and that might even be because I messed up something in the directions), repost and tell us what OS you’re using. You’ll get more specific instructions that way.
EP
Edward_Parker
Nov 16, 2003
Thank you for your prompt reply, I’ll give your suggestions a try and let you know the results….

Thanks again,

Ed
EP
Edward_Parker
Nov 16, 2003
Beth,
No Luck! Yes I am running MS 98SE, there is no such item (Open With) when you right click the PDF icon, nor do I see anything like EDIT>Open With in Element 2.0 either.

Maybe the version (Elements 2.0) that came with my Epson Scanner is a crippled version.

I also noticed that since I installed the Photoshop Elements 2.0 I can no longer download any PDF documents. My screen comes up blank with a small square in the upper lefthand corner with multi-colored symbols inside…..

Ed
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 16, 2003
Ed, did you try to Shift-Right Click on the PDF document in Windows Explorer? That should give you the Open With… line that was missing before. In PE2, you should also undo the PDF box in Edit<File Association; as a matter of fact, you might want to do that first, just to make sure PE doesn’t override Windows…

Chuck
EP
Edward_Parker
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks Chuck, I’ll give that a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Regards,

Ed
EP
Edward_Parker
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks Chuck! unchecking the PDF box in EDIT>FILE ASSN took care of the problem. I’m still confused, doing a SHIFT-RIGHT CLICK on the PDF document only brings up the standard window, there isn’t a OPEN WITH entry there…… Oh well, no complaint, it’s fixed, thanks again to both you and Beth Haney for all your efforts…..

Ed
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 18, 2003
Edward,

I use WinXP, so I don’t know if it works in 98SE, but when I just right click a file while using Explorer, one of the options on the popup is "open with".
EP
Edward_Parker
Nov 18, 2003
Thanks Nancy for your advice, but that option is not available in Win98SE, It was recommended and I tried it. See Chuck Snyder’s suggestion above, it solved my problem.

Thanks again

Ed
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 18, 2003
Ed,

On Win98SE, you can get the "Open With…" option by holding the SHIFT key while right-clicking on a file.

Only in the event the file type is unassociated will you get Open With by right-clicking, alone.

Byron
EP
Edward_Parker
Nov 18, 2003
That why! "file unassociated with", understandabel now!

Thanks Byron

Ed
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 19, 2003
Byron, I had Win 98SE for a long time and didn’t realize that about the Shift-Right Click – great tip!

Chuck
H
Harry
Nov 19, 2003
how to create file associations in windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306493

wrote in message
Not to panic. I assume you’re using Windows, since most Mac users identify
themselves. Here are two things you can try. Since I try not to use a Win machine, I don’t remember which is the most expedient in your case. I suspect this one:
Right click on the icon of a PDF document and go down to where it says
"Open With"; Adobe Acrobat Reader should show up in the list. Just select that. If it’s not in the list, there’s a "show more options" area, and you can scroll to the Acrobat Reader app on your hard drive and select it that way. Once you’ve done this for one PDF doc, all of them should open in Acrobat Reader. You might also notice that all other files types on your hard drive also now open in Elements; you can repeat the above process to get them to open in another app if you prefer.
There’s also something under Edit>Open With in Elements itself. I haven’t
ever used this one, but I think it produces a similar result.
If you’re still having trouble (and that might even be because I messed up
something in the directions), repost and tell us what OS you’re using. You’ll get more specific instructions that way.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections