DB
Posted By
Don_B_Williams
Jun 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There have been a number messages indicating that the user could not import a quicktime (MOV) file because the file type is not listed.

Does anyone have an answer as how to do this, or is it a bug that is being fixed etc.?

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 9, 2004
Don,

Are you trying to import a movie with Photoshop Elements? Not possible. You don’t play video in Photoshop elements. This is a photo editing program. You can import a single frame from a quicktime movie but not a movie.

Just use Quicktime if that is what your camera is set up for video playing.
DB
Don_B_Williams
Jun 9, 2004
Sorry I wasn’t clear.

I am trying to import a single frame from a quicktime file that has a .mov extension. I can play it O.K. with QT but I don’t seem able to get PSE to recognize the file type so that I can import a single frame.

Thanks
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 9, 2004
I haven’t tried it yet, but my brother’s brother-in-law said that you can import a single frame with iMovie. Then you can open it with PSE.
Jane
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 9, 2004
Don,

I posted this reply to your original query:

It finally occurred to me…

Open the .MOV file with the Quicktime player. Drag the progress slider (or use the FF/RW buttons) until you have the frame you wish displayed. Click Edit > Copy.

In Elements, click File > New from Clipboard.

Granted it is not as nifty to have to use the external app, but it works.

Byron

wrote in message
There have been a number messages indicating that the user could not
import a
quicktime (MOV) file because the file type is not listed.
Does anyone have an answer as how to do this, or is it a bug that is being
fixed etc.?
Thanks
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 9, 2004
There are many ways to accomplish the same result, thats half the fun! Jane
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 10, 2004
Okay everyone, step aside. Here’s the really cool way to do it, built right into Photoshop Elements by the good folks from Adobe. 🙂

File > Import > Frame from video

Navigate to your Quicktime Video with the Browse button, and the rest is all in front of you for selecting the specific frame. It’s a very cool feature.*

* Learned about at this forum.
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 10, 2004
Mark,

It may be that this is a point at which the user experience diverges between Mac and PC installations.

I suspect that, on a Mac, PSE uses Quicktime as the default media player.

On my PC, PSE uses Windows Media Player codecs. It does not recognize .MOV files.

I would be interested to know if ANY PC user can import a frame from a QT video using the PSE menu…

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 10, 2004
BTW… I DO have QT player 6.5 installed.

<Byron Gale> wrote in message
Mark,

It may be that this is a point at which the user experience diverges
between
Mac and PC installations.

I suspect that, on a Mac, PSE uses Quicktime as the default media player.
On my PC, PSE uses Windows Media Player codecs. It does not recognize
..MOV
files.

I would be interested to know if ANY PC user can import a frame from a QT video using the PSE menu…

Byron

MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 10, 2004
Byron,

Don’t you also have the File>Import>Frame from Video? I didn’t assume that it needed to be Quicktime. I own Canons and they all use Quicktime for the video player but I would imagine that it could import from other media players as well. QT is the player that Don asks about but I would be surprised if it only worked with QT on a Mac. I don’t currently have any files saved in Window Media Player to test it out.
O
OldnSenile
Jun 10, 2004
Mark,

From PSE2 "Help", under "Getting Images From Video":

"Your video clips must be saved in video file formats that Photoshop Elements can open in the Frame for Video dialog box. Windows formats include .avi, .mpg, and .mpeg, and Mac OS formats include QuickTime and .mpeg."

On my PC, it (the dialog box) doesn’t recognize "mov" files. Doesn’t explain why, though.

Oldnsenile
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 10, 2004
wrote
Don’t you also have the File>Import>Frame from Video?

Mark,

Yes, I do. However, just as OldnSenile has reported, .MOV is not a file format which it opens.

It truly appears that, on a PC, PSE’s "Frame from Video" is only able to open file types which are supported by Windows Media Player, irrespective of whether QT player is installed, or not.

Byron
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 10, 2004
it truly appears that, on a PC, PSE’s "Frame from Video" is only able toopen file types which are supported by WindowsMediaPlayer,irrespective of whether QT player is installed, or not.

Well, that’s pretty weird. Canon camera’s software does not even include Windows Media Player, only Quicktime for playing video on Windows and Mac OS. Fortunately importing video frame is not something you’re going to use everyday but I find it puzzling as to why Adobe designed it that way.

Hmmm… does B. Gates have anything to do with this??
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 10, 2004
Mark, at least on my canon, the movies are .avi files, which WMP takes over on my pc. I can’t open the .mov files from my minolta in ‘Frame from video’ on my pc, either. (And you know I’ve got QT on it.) 😉
LM
Lou_M
Jun 11, 2004
Yep, but even in Windows you can follow Byron’s advice and use QuickTime player to find the frame and copy it to the clipboard, then File–>Paste as New Image in Elements.

It looks like Adobe is just using whatever the "native" video tool is on the operating system that’s currently running. That seems pretty reasonable, although supporting both would be a nice bonus.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections