AP
Posted By
Andrew_Pietrzyk
May 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whatever the case it could be dangerous!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
May 15, 2004
Photoshop CS allows saving the file into temporary directory and the file might be gone next time you need it!

Nikon Capture has a feature that opens the file in Photoshop. The way it works NC saves the file in temporary directory, opens PS and the file.

Photoshop (by default) will save the file into that (temporary) directory. File name can be changed. Photoshop will open file from that directory but OS search will not show that file or directory. This is hidden System folder.

Rebooting will clear that directory and all files saved there are GONE for good.

I think this should be looked at so default “Save” or “Save As” would not point to temporary folder.

This is only happening on Mac OS, Windows version will default “Save” or “Save As” to a permanent directory in the same situation.

Andrew
T
Todie
May 15, 2004
err… so, than,.. it’s a Nikon bug.
(what came first? The Apple OS, Photoshop or Nicon Capture?)
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Another good reason to delete the Nikon software.
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
May 15, 2004
Doesn’t matter whose bug it is Photoshop should not be saving to a hidden, temporary directory.

Nikon Capture has been executing “Open in Photoshop” this way as long as I can remember. I don’t buy their explanation why it has to be done like that still two wrongs don’t make it right.
T
Todie
May 15, 2004
Photoshop saves to scratch disc since before Nikon even knew that there was such a thing as a temporary directory.
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
May 16, 2004
This has nothing to do with scratch disk or temporary files PS writes to it. It has everything to do with default directory when you bring up “Save As” dialog in Photoshop. That default directory shouldn’t be available at all let alone be default option because it will be EMPTY next time user reboots. All work saved there will be lost.

This is not Nikon bug it is glitch in Photoshop that Nikon happen to expose.

I don’t need to be lectured what programs to uninstall or use to get my work done, I don’t give rat’s a** who was doing what first, here and now is all I care about.
T
Todie
May 16, 2004
In the Apple world, developers have to read TFM that comes with the Tools. <http://www.apple.com/macosx/developertools/>

I don’t care about Nikon (anything) but am curious about performance on the Mac. How does NC compare to ACR?
Is it worth $200?
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
May 16, 2004
How does NC compare to ACR? Is it worth $200?

It’s not $200 when you shop around.

How it compares to ACR depends what you need to get done with it. NC is bit slow on Mac OS. I haven’t tried it on G5/Panther yet to see if comes close to (or exceeds) Windows version speed (it is primarily Windows software trying to adopt to Mac).

Color is spot on from NC where ACR requires serious tweaking with Calibration sliders to get it close.

Batch options in NC are next to none and easy to use.

Mileage may vary depending on camera model but I defiantly think this is must have software when shooting with Nikon DSLR. ACR will nicely complement but not replace it.
T
Todie
May 16, 2004
Thanks, Andrew!

Did you profile your camera for studio lighting?
When you say: "Spot on" is it from memory or you just like what you see on the monitor? (what color space?)

Is there a preference to save the RAW file to the hard drive? (not to a temp folder)
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
May 16, 2004
Todie,

Did you profile your camera for studio lighting?

I don’t profile my camera; I use its color mode that outputs in Adobe RGB. I do meter White Balance for my strobes/ softboxes using either GretagMacbeth color checker or Digital Gray Card (not Kodak gray card).

When you say: "Spot on" is it from memory or you just like what you see on the monitor?

Doing tabletop product photography I shoot with the camera tethered so I see image in the viewfinder and on the monitor at the same time.

Is there a preference to save the RAW file to the hard drive? (not to a temp folder)

Oh yes! NC saves RAW files to directory of your choice. It only uses temp/hidden folder to convert RAW to Tiff when transferring image to Photoshop on the fly. There are other ways to get images to PS too.
T
Todie
May 16, 2004
Thanks again, Andrew!
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
May 17, 2004
My pleasure LT.

Just curious why you are interested in NC performance on Mac. You know you can download fully functional 30-day trial and see for yourself.
T
Todie
May 17, 2004
Andrew, I don’t have a Nikon.
Rob Galbraith started a scandal a while back (to attract people to his site) that put the Mac in a bad light.
It turned out that Nikon’s Capture v1.x for the Mac was a dud, but some damage was done to the platform of my choice.
I wonder if Bob retracted the stupid things he said, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections