LL
Posted By
louis_levin
Oct 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I understand that layers are like transparent gels placed one on top of another as is done with animation film.
What I don’t understand is the WHY of using layers with photos. Does every photo have layers? Can you make or add layers from what is already there? Working from Philip Andrews book, he shows several thumbnails in layers or layer styles palettes but there is none when I open them with a photo on the screen.
Thank you.
Louis

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 31, 2003
louis, do you actually have your Layers pallet open in Elements? If you don’t, there might be layers in an image, but you won’t be able to see them.
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 31, 2003
I work almost exclusively with photographs. I’m not much of an artist otherwise, so I’m happy to have some kind of a creative outlet. I don’t know how much you have worked with photographs using Photoshop Elements, but if I go in and make some changes to brightness or contrast or hue/saturation or whatever, and then find later on that I need to make those adjustments again, everything starts from the default base value of 0 again. However, if I use adjustment layers to make those same changes, I can always double-click on the layer in the pallette and I can see and modify the values that were previously set. Also, if I get into a typical photograph editing section I find I have a lot of added control if I can adjust each layer as I see how that adjustment interacts with other adjustments.

I have a suggestion for you. Open a photograph and instead of just starting to make changes to it, add adjustment layers for levels, hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, etc., and just get a feel for the additional control you have. You can save it to a different filename so that you don’t do anything to your original picture. I think you’ll find, as I did, that adjustment layers are particularly valuable.
LL
louis_levin
Oct 31, 2003
Thank you all.

And Jim, I will certainly play around with layers as you suggest. How do you create a layer? When you see the 0 designation does that mean there are none? Louis
JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 31, 2003
I usually start by creating a duplicate player. This protects my original image so that I can always go back to that point. Then, as I add additional adjustment layers they will be named like "brightness/contrast 1". Layer 0 just indicates that it is the base or bottom layer. The way you create new layers is by using the layer option on your menu bar. You will find options there for adding a duplicate layer as well as different types of adjustment layers.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections