Layers problem: – how can I upload the PSD for analysis?

P
Posted By
PortyPorty
Jul 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all. Following one of my earlier questions, when several members gave me some great advice about layers, I’ve been experimenting.

Now, I have a PSD that I’d like advice on. It’s 1.42MB. Can I upload it somewhere so that it can be examined on the forum?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
Jul 23, 2008
Try YouSendIt.com

Bob
P
Phosphor
Jul 23, 2008
Does your ISP offer some server space along with your account? (With Comcast, I get up to 7 GB for my personal use).

Most do. ZIP-compress the PSD and upload it to your space on your own account.
P
Phosphor
Jul 23, 2008
What kind of analysis do you need? A screen shot showing the Layers palette would probably suffice.
P
PortyPorty
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks folks. OK, no prob with using a file archive site like YouSendIt. It’s just that I wasn’t sure if this forum site allowed attachments.

Re Ed’s comment about screen shots instead of the PSD, yes, I guess that’s possible, provided that I supply several screen shots. My problem concerns one layer inexplicably disappearing under another layer, when bumped up and down in the layers palette.

Perhaps I should try the screen shots first?
S
stevent
Jul 24, 2008
P
PortyPorty
Jul 24, 2008
stevent – thanks for the link to PSDNow – excellent site, very fast. OK, here’s the link to my problem PSD file:

<http://www.psdnow.com/download/file/TxrrVBYQg9/>

My main question is:
When the kiss layer is at the top of the Layers Palette, why doesn’t it obscure (overlay)the pink inner box on the bgcopy2 layer?

Whatever I’ve done, it must also explain why, when bgcopy2 is elevated to the top, kiss disappears altogether.

Advice would be much appreciated 🙂
J
johntolliday
Jul 24, 2008
It’s because you have partial transparency at the edges of the kiss image. Probably from feathering or partially erasing it?

Turn off all the other layers to see this

If you take a history snapshot, before you feather it, you can paint back the pixels exactly where you want them with the history brush set to that snapshot

Background2 has no transparency so obscures any other layer beneath it! so when at the top you can’t see through it, like a stack of plates?

regards

John
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2008
"When the kiss layer is at the top of the Layers Palette, why doesn’t it obscure (overlay)the pink inner box on the bgcopy2 layer?"

It sure does for me.

"when bgcopy2 is elevated to the top, kiss disappears altogether."

Think about it. If you put a large book on top of a postcard, can you see the postcard?

By the way, I could not open your file until after I added the .psd extension. The extension should always be included.
P
PortyPorty
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks everyone – you’ve all been very helpful and I’m sure I can sort it now.

BTW Ed, the file was labeled ‘Trying 3.psd’ when it left here, so dunno where the extension went to. Maybe there shouldn’t have been a space between g and 3?
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2008
Perhaps. The file I got was named Trying, no space, no 3, no .psd.

Some servers do not allow spaces in a file name.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections