A
Posted By
almichaud
Aug 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I scan an image-I click on layers tab-the small window opens but the opacity, lock windows are grayed out and there are no A_B+C_D etc. Just one small window?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
Byron Gale
Aug 20, 2003
Almichaud,

That’s because the single layer is a background. Backgrounds have limited functionality (to protect them, I think…)

You can convert the background to a layer by double-clicking on it in the Layers palette. Then the items you mention would no longer be greyed-out.

I would recommend, however, that you leave your background intact and, instead, work on a copy of it as a layer.

You can do this via the menu (Layer -> Duplicate Layer), or the Layers palette (click-drag the background to the "new layer" icon at the bottom of the palette… the center one that looks like a small square with one corner turned up), or, also in the Layers palette, right-click on the background and choose Duplicate Layer from the context menu (don’t fiddle with the Destinaton portion of the dialog).

HTH,

Byron

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections