IT
Posted By
Ian_Thirlwell
Oct 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The line tool has no options, as far as I can see, for other styles than solid lines. I need to draw straight lines of dashes over scanned line drawings. The brush tools don’t give the effect I am looking for, even when manipulating the options.
(Photoshop Elements 2.0)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 25, 2003
Have you tried using the dash from the Text Tool?
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 25, 2003
I just found this,
<http://arraich.com/elements/ref/tool_line.htm>
I haven’t tried it, but Jay has wonderful tutorials.
Jane

Oh, I just tried it and it works like a charm!
J
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 25, 2003
Ian,

or adjust the ‘spacing’ for the tool
CF
Callum_Ferguson
Oct 25, 2003
Hello Ian.
Posably this may do the job.
Use the brush tool but set the spacing to whatever suits, if you hold down the shift key while draging you will have a straight line of blobs of whatever brush shape, size and colour you chose.
Hmm, i must be learning something here to think of that. Regards
Malcolm
IT
Ian_Thirlwell
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions. The text dashes may work, but I need to draw the dashed lines at various angles, eg from ‘point’ A to ‘points’ B and C respectively, the three ‘points’ not being in a straight line. This would involve rotating the text dash lines after drawing them. It would seem far better if the line tool had aditional options like the other tools.
Malcolm, as I said, I tried the brush tools but the effect was not what was needed for the kind of drawing I’m working with.
If I had paper, ruler and pencil, I’d place the ruler at whatever angle was required then draw dashes along it with the pencil. That’s the effect I want.
I’ll go and have a look at that tutorial.
Regards,
Ian
I
imacgirl
Oct 27, 2003
Ian,

Have you tried this? Use the Pencil tool and click where you want the first dash to begin and then click at the other end while holding down the Shift key. This will give you a straight solid line. Then use the Eraser tool to remove parts of the solid line to create the dashes. This method allows you to fire the line at any angle you want.

Barb
BT
Ben_T
Oct 27, 2003
Ian
If all else fails you can:
Move your photo to Microsoft Word. >Format > Picture > Layout > Behind text, this will also let you move your photo.

In the Drawing toolbar Select Line. Draw your line From Point A to Point B. Select format on the menu bar > AutoShape, here you can modify your line with dashes or other options.
HTH
Ben T
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 28, 2003
Ian,

As Imacgirl suggests, try using the pencil tool as she suggested, but change the tools spacing (in the options) so it forms the dash without having to fiddle with it (I think this should work).
I
imacgirl
Oct 28, 2003
Nancy,

Great idea, but unfortunately there are no spacing options for the Pencil Tool like the Brush has. He could try using a Hard Brush with a few pixels and then the spacing would be available in the Options Bar.

Barb
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 28, 2003
Imacgirl,

I appreciate the correction…

Nancy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 28, 2003
hmm, there are spacing options in PE1 for the pencil tool…they took it out of PE2 ??
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 28, 2003
I just looked at my PSE 2, and I couldn’t find any way to change the spacing, just the size in pixels.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 28, 2003
hmmm, very interesting indeed.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 29, 2003
Gee, maybe this is why I kept my PSE 1! 🙂 Except I can’t think of any projects I need to do with a dotted line. I do like the thread on printing the grid, though, because I’d been wondering how to do that!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections