AF
Posted By
angus_farquharson
May 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
can you make selections using the pen tool? say pulling an image out of a background? I know how to do it using the mask tools but i was wondering if it was possible with the vector tools and if there was a reason to do so with the vector tools instead of the mask tools…

cheers

angus

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

S
stevent
May 10, 2005
If you expand the Type tool (click and hold on the ‘T’ in the Tool box, you will see the text selection tools.
Or you can type normally and CTRL + click on the ‘T’ thumbnail in the Layers palette, to make a selection around the pixels in the layer (or vectors I suppose for text).
TH
Tina_Hayes
May 10, 2005
Here’s what I do:

Make a copy of my original.
Close my original.

Select the pen tool.

Select the quick mask.

Zoom, zoom, zoom, so I can see the little pixels.

Carefully click my way around what I want to retain. (I use a Wacom pen, it’s sooooooo much easier with soooooo much more control)

Once I have it selected, I right click to ‘make selection’, I leave quick mask mode. I then have to choose to re-select.

I SAVE my selection.

I SAVE my psd.

I then invert the selection and either delete or blur the background, depending on what I want to do.

There are tons of ways to do this, but this is what works best for me personally.
Y
YrbkMgr
May 10, 2005
Personally, I just start with the pen tool, draw a rough vector shape around the object, and then add anchor points to tune it. Once done, load selection from the Paths Palette.

Another quick and dirty way is to use a selection tool, like the magic wand – then right click on the selection and Make Work Path. Enter a value (1.0 works well for me), and then you have most of the work done. You can move along deleting or adding anchor points and fine tune the selection.
S
stevent
May 10, 2005
It’s times like this that I wish I had read the Question! Sorry Angus, ignore my gibberish!
JJ
John Joslin
May 10, 2005
….and I thought it was me!
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2005
lol! 🙂
WN
Wesley_Norman
May 10, 2005
I’m with you Tony. The best thing I ever did was to learn how to use the Pen tool. With a lot of practice, it is probably one of the fastest and most accurate way to select most objects. I say most because hair flying in the wind is another whole story.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections