R
Posted By
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Some time ago, someone posted a link to a European site where they would do silhouetting/extraction/pen-tool work on your images for a very reasonable fee. Does anyone remember and have the link or contact information?

Thanks in advance.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BJ
Bob_Janusz
Sep 11, 2006
<http://www.cuttingoutimages.com/> ???

What do you have? I’ll quote it.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Thanks for that link, Bob.

Mostly portraits and horses; it’s a joint venture with someone who is as broke as I am now, that’s why I was thinking of a very inexpensive outfit that was mentioned here before. I seem to recall it was in Eastern Europe, not the E. U.

Hope someone else remembers. I had no need for the service at the time, so I didn’t bookmark it (or if I did, I can’t find it).
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 11, 2006
I doubt if you will find a better deal than what Bob is representing above. His is the link that I remember as being the best value. Any less and you risk quality. Bob’s company seems to pride itself on quality, which you will want from any vendor.

Services I work with in China are at a better rate, and good quality, but the cost going in would be prohibitive in your case I think, as you must be bringing in major projects to qualify.

Least expensive is ‘do it yourself.’
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Oh, I took Bob’s offer most seriously, Ken. I’ve bookmarked the link; I just haven’t explored it yet.

Thanks again to Bob.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 11, 2006
Ramón, how much time to you have to make )purchase) decision?

I worked in a shop last year that sent their digital tiff files to Jamacia for path creation. The paths were tight and smooth (good bezier curves) and cheap–$7 per if I remember correct. From what I remember they were about $7 per image/file I think. If the file was a shot of 3 women, e.g. 3 sweaters, I don’t know.

I was more of less fired from the place, but I’m pretty sure I could find the place that did the path making. I can’t tell you how nice it is to open a file and only have to select a path to make a correction, rather than have to drawe it.

I’m hoping I was given the fact correctly last year–I’m willing to make a few calls and/or emails if there is time.

alan
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2006
Alan,

It’s not a commercial venture and the other party will be covering all expenditures. I’m providing many of the images, but not all. So it’s not my decision at all. I’m just passing the information along. As I said, there’s very little money involved here, just a deep love of horses and fond memories of horse breeders.
BJ
Bob_Janusz
Sep 12, 2006
Sorry for the confusion guys, I have no affiliation with the link I posted. It was a hit from a google search and I thought that might be the one you were looking for.

When I offered to quote it, it was because I would do it myself. (It’s been a little slow lately) If there is no budget that’s ok. I don’t mind donating time to a good cause. (Just don’t kill me with a hundred images due overnight)
R
Ram
Sep 12, 2006
Bob,

No way would we expect you or anyone else to do it for free. Of course we expect to pay. I’ll let the person running the show know about your availability. I got your email address.

Thanks again.
S
SuperMacGuy
Sep 12, 2006
medicine and "why is it so expensive and the answer given is ‘technology"?

I’m nowhere near a med science expert, but I would guess these combinations of reasons: -the diseases we wish to eliminate now are more complex. Cancer and AIDS are complex organisms/virii/etc. There is not a simple answer like 50 years ago good old penicillin kills bacteria.
-complex disease cures require a lot of technological power, such as electron microscopes and imaging systems. Expensive, sometimes you need things that still need invented.
-trying to solve genetic diseases require testing on DNA, only recently fully decoded. Testing for such protein sequences requires a lot of labor. It’s centrifuging DNA, injecting some chemical or proteins into it, culturing it for some time or growing a mouse with the new DNA, etc. (I have a friend doing genetic soybean research, I’ve seen him do it. No amount of supercomputer can speed up the growth of new cells, he just has to wait some days to see results.) It’s trial and error on a fixed growth schedule.
-So paying some researchers to do a lot of trial and error is ultimately more expensive than Louie Pastuer tinkering in his lab.
-long term tests on pills with control groups, takes a long time -Medical and drug companies don’t want to collaborate, they want to make $$ profits on all their products and gain back all the money spent on R&D

just my thoughts and 2¢
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 12, 2006
"why is it so expensive"

Because we have a government that is running a Protection Racket for the big drug companies by not allowing competitive free market conditions to prevail (as they would if people were permitted to shop for their medicines in other parts of the world — particularly in Canada).
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 12, 2006
Ann Rules.
E
eltee
Sep 12, 2006
… and Orrin hatches : )
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 12, 2006
Mark Spitz

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections