Posted By
Ilonka_Smyth
Sep 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey there,

I have just upgraded from Elements to CS2, (Windows).

I work for a company doing post production for architectural photography.

I often require to insert backgrounds and found it tedious to do this with MAGIC WAND and pressing SELECT SIMILAR. this often picks up too much in areas not necessary.

Is there a way to block off a certain area so the SELECT SIMILAR option does not pick up areas of the house for example?????

Hope someone can help with this…..

* Lonki

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 7, 2006
Look into Extract and learn to use the Pen tool.
IS
Ilonka_Smyth
Sep 7, 2006
do you suggest marking the area with the pen tool?
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 7, 2006
The Pen tool takes some learning. Get to grips with the wide range of generic seletion tools first.

I’ve actually answered your question in your other post. (a mod will come along and merge the duplicate posts presently)

Basically, with any selection tool you hold Shift to add and Alt to subtract.
PL
Per-Otto_Larsen
Sep 7, 2006
Hi Ilonka Smyth,
There are several ways do make selections, and I would highly recomend learning about alpha channels. This is simply a black and white image representing your selection.

Take a look at these videos, they will explain about advanced selections: – <http://www.radiantvista.com/archive/video_tutorials/3/> – <http://www.radiantvista.com/archive/photoshop_workbench/47/>

Just using layer masks can also be a trick in some cases.

Good luck
IS
Ilonka_Smyth
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks guys

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections