KK
Posted By
Ken_Kahn
Jul 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been unable to find an explanation for proper selection of the reference point when using the Transform (Skew/Distort/Perspective) command. Can anyone direct me to a book, tutorial, or other source of information?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 30, 2006
run this google search for some info:

"photoshop transform tutorial reference point"
KK
Ken_Kahn
Jul 30, 2006
I didn’t think it was necessary to mention that I made an extensive search before I posted my question. I didn’t find any explanation of which reference points to select when using the Transform tools to correct perspective distortion. The tutorials ignore the issue of reference points, apparently accepting the default center position.
WN
Wesley_Norman
Jul 30, 2006
Ken, have you tried clicking and dragging the central reference point to other area of your image before transforming? I have even dragged it out of the transform bounding box.
KK
Ken_Kahn
Jul 30, 2006
I notice that the central reference point can be moved, but I don’t understand the consequences. I was referring to selecting a reference point on the options bar before moving the handles.

Photoshop help says:

3. (Optional) In the options bar, click a square on the reference point locator.

It doesn’t say which point to select or why.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 30, 2006
Move the central reference point, then rotate, you’ll see when it can be useful…
KK
Ken_Kahn
Jul 30, 2006
Thank you, Pierre.

I see what it does for rotating images. For perspective, one can make the plane of the image rotate away from 90 degrees to the viewer, but I’d like to see a complete explanation of how the reference points are use with all the Transform tools.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 30, 2006
You could try it – might learn more that way!
GW
Gary Wedemayer
Jul 30, 2006
The center point defines the axis of rotation with the rotate tool

–Cheers!
garywed

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:00:17 -0700, wrote:

I notice that the central reference point can be moved, but I don’t understand the consequences. I was referring to selecting a reference point on the options bar before moving the handles.

Photoshop help says:

3. (Optional) In the options bar, click a square on the reference point locator.
It doesn’t say which point to select or why.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections